Prince’s restaurant opens in Ballater

The Rothesay Rooms officiallly opens on Friday, November 25. Photo: Ross Johnston/Newsline Media
The Rothesay Rooms officiallly opens on Friday, November 25. Photo: Ross Johnston/Newsline Media

The Rothesay Rooms aims to provide a new amenity for the local community and stimulate business and tourism following last year’s devastating floods.

The restaurant, which can seat up to 40 people at any one time, will offer a seasonal menu created from locally-sourced produce.

Charles and Camilla, known as the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay when they are in Scotland, visited the new venture last month.

Guy Fenton, who will be head chef at the Rothesay Rooms for the first six months, said: “We will be using locally-sourced produce to help suppliers get back on their feet following last year’s floods.

“There’s such variation in our menu and something to whet the appetite of every diner who come here.”

The derelict site for the restaurant and Highgrove Shop in Netherley Place was donated by the Co-operative Group for a peppercorn rent and converted by the Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust Outreach Programme, a charity chaired by Prince Charles. The project has also been supported by the Ballater Flood Appeal.

Robert Lovie, who has overseen the project, said: “The restaurant and Highgrove Shop will help reinvigorate Ballater, offering employment, training and a new amenity for both locals and visitors.”

Recruitment of staff for the new restaurant is continuing. The opening menu will feature starters such as Cullen Skink with poached quail eggs and main courses including cod with a macadamia crust.