Drink-driving falls over the festive period

The number of drink-drivers detected over the festive period across the north east has fallen slightly , with 11 less being detected than over the same period last year.

After the conclusion of the nationwide ACPOS campaign, figures show that 46 people have been reported locally to the Procurator Fiscal for drink-driving offences between December 3, and January 4.

This compares to 57 people caught over a similar period last year. Of the 46 people charged this year, 14 were between the ages of 17 and 25 (30%) compared to 31% last year (16).

Three people were detected driving under the influence of drugs, a reduction on seven last year.

Figures for the final week of the campaign showed a sharp rise from last year - with 20 people being caught compared to 12 last year.

Nine requests for the forfeiture of vehicles were made during the campaign, with these drivers potentially losing their vehicles at Court.

Chief Inspector Ian Wallace, head of Road Policing, said that any reduction was welcome, but said it was both disappointing and frustrating that so many people were still ignoring the drink-drive warnings.

He said: “We need a cultural change to this issue before we can hope to rid the roads of this kind of irresponsible behaviour.”