Final salute: British Legion open day of remembrance

editorial image

Legion Scotland’s Banchory branch played host to a day of events to honour the great debt of gratitude owed to World War One veterans.

In August 1914, war was declared against Germany which resulted in the British Army fighting the most costly conflict in its long history.

When the war ended in 1918, British Army casualties, as the result of enemy action and disease, were recorded as 995,939 dead and missing, with another 1.7 million wounded.

All those veterans are now gone but the great debt of gratitude owed to all of them was honoured still at theLegion’s World War One Commemoration and Open Day last Saturday, September 6.

The Banchory branch also remembered all those involved in World War Two in a programme of events to suit all ages.

Branch and Club, working alongside leaders from the Women’s Section, Riders Branch, Banchory & District Pipe Band, the ATC, the Senior Section, the Scouts/Cubs/Beavers and Guides/Brownies/Rainbows, held a Drumhead Service and Open Day.

The day started with a parade of over 100 people of all ages from uniformed organisations led by Banchory Pipe Band.

Branch chairman, Alistair Black, welcomed everyone to the Drumhead Service which was conducted by Heather Morrison.

After the service the parade moved round to the area where a commemorative plaque, created by Scouting and Guiding Youth, was unveiled by Dennis Robertson, MSP.

Several old military vehicles were on display in the car park along with RBL Riders Branch motorcycles.

To top off the day’s events, a display of World War One models was set up in the hall along with a variety of stalls, family entertainment and refreshments.

The Brownies were chosen as winners of the model competition by the public.

The day finished with an evening of entertainment from The Kevin Allan Ceilidh Band and Banchory Academy’s Band, Soul Academy.

A spokesperson for the Banchory branch of Legion Scotland said: “Everyone who came to watch and enjoy the hospitality played a part in making the day a huge success.”

The commemorative plaque now stands proudly in the Legion car park.