MP raises awareness of poisonous gas risks

editorial image

Local MP Sir Robert Smith raised awareness of the risks associated with carbon monoxide at a Westminster event last week.

The MP for West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine hosted the event in support of the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign.

New research from the campaign has found that 16.4 million households in the UK could be at risk of poisoning if they don’t have an alarm in their home to warn them of the poisonous gas.

As carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste, installing an audible alarm that sounds when the gas is present is the only way to make sure people are properly protected.

It can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance – such as a boiler, cooker or fire – which is faulty or doesn’t have adequate ventilation.

Sir Robert said: “Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste.

“Too many people are dying or suffering needlessly from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“That’s why I am supporting the Be Alarmed! campaign to raise awareness and to encourage constituents in West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine to make sure they and their loved ones are protected by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm and ensuring their fuel-burning appliances are serviced.”