Banchory Boys through to last four of Scottish Cup after extra time win over Leith Athletic

editorial image

This Scottish Cup quarter-final match took place at Milton Park on Saturday at the second time of asking with kick off conditions near perfect for this time of year.

A good crowd had turned up to support the Deeside team and they were not disappointed, with the Banchory boys progressing into the semi-final for the very first time.

The game started with Leith Athletic first to show with a shot going well wide of the target.

The early exchanges saw neither team dominate play as both teams tried to put their mark on the game.

Banchory then created their first real chance when a through ball by Davies was just headed over by Henderson.

Leith then had a succession of corners where a great tip away by Leslie saw off the danger.

As the first half neared to a close Banchory took the lead.

A pass from defence found Tubby who threaded the ball through to HENDERSON where he fired to ball low and hard under the advancing keeper.

The second half saw the home team defend into a stiff breeze but like Banchory in the first half Leith were tending to over hit their passes and Leslie picked up the pieces.

Banchory were not playing the fluent football they normally do and passes were going astray putting the home defence under pressure.

A good move down the right saw the Leith winger fire a shot in but it went just past the post.

A free kick was then awarded for a challenge ten yards outside the box where Leith’s Mein rattled the bar.

Midway through the half Leith drew level. A corner was swung in from the left where Banchory managed to clear two efforts off the line but the ball was eventually bundled over for 1-1.

This gave Banchory the wake up call they required and Christie and Nicoll in midfield started to get the ball wide to Iason and Smith where it looked like a goal could be created.

Henderson saw his effort from a Smith cross just graze the post and a long range effort by Rowett was smothered by the keeper.

With extra time looming Banchory nearly scored. Pressure was building on the away defence and a driven cross by Iason saw McPherson toe the ball goal wards only for this to be half cleared to Smith , who slid in but a defender on the line managed to clear it away.

Just on full time Banchory thought they had a penalty when Henderson ran clear of the defence and appeared to be fouled inside the box, by the referee waved away the appeals.

Extra time was required, and as snow started to fall, Banchory stepped up to the plate and went at Leith with fast slick football.

They were rewarded after seven minutes of play when a move down the right involving several players saw SAM SMITH jink past three defenders and coolly slip the ball past the keeper from five yards which sent the home crowd wild.

The second period started with Banchory attacking and a good move saw McPherson just miss the target.

Minutes later an off the ball incident was picked up by the assistant referee, and Agathe was sent off for Leith.

Three minutes later Banchory took advantage and increased their lead.

A lung bursting run by Reid released McPHERSON and he lobbed the ball over the keeper and into the net.

However, Leith’s misery was not completed until the final minute when a two footed lunge by Allison on Buchan saw the visiting side reduced to nine men. Thankfully the Banchory player was able to divert away from the challenge where it could have been very serious.

The final whistle went and Banchory celebrated a historic win to proceed into the semi-final for the very first time to face Glasgow side Harmony Row.

Banchory: Leslie, Davies, Rennie, Reid, Rowett, Christie, Smith, Nicoll, Buchan, Henderson, Tubby, McRae, McPherson, Sadler, Iason, Adams.