Beacon Rangers prove too strong for Monymusk AFC

Monymusk continued their build-up to the new season when they took on Division One (East) side Beacon Rangers at Strathburn Park in Inverurie.

The final score flattered the home side who only pushed home their advantage with two goals in the last 10 minutes of the game. Musk’s failure to take their chances was evident again, however, with their only goal coming from the penalty spot.

Beacon were the first to threaten with their speedy right winger causing problems for the Musk defence. Daniel Clark, however, was presented with a great opportunity on the left after just nine minutes and Michael Howden just failed to connect with Daniel Clark ‘s shot across the face of the goal.

Monymusk took the lead in 23 minutes when Andrew Moss was pole-axed in the box by a Beacon defender and Michael Howden stepped up and made no mistake from the resultant penalty kick.

Beacon levelled the score with 10 minutes of the first half remaining when they were awarded a free kick on their left which was floated in to the far post and headed home although it looked as if Fyffe had been fouled in the process and could only continue after treatment.

Andrew Cruden shot just wide again when in a good position and Beacon had the ball in the back of the net again on the stroke of half-time but it was ruled offside by the referee.

In an action replay from another long throw-in Michael Fyffe was again unable to get to the high ball and there was a Beacon player to knock the ball over the line and give them the lead.

Andrew Cruden was proving to be the only real threat for Musk up front and in 73 minutes he cut inside and delivered a powerful drive which narrowly went over the Beacon goal.

Skipper Jamie Mackie also went close with a header just wide as Musk pressed for the equaliser.

Beacon struck a sucker punch with eight minutes remaining when Fyffe failed to deal with a ball in the box and a Beacon player cashed in on the keeper’s misfortune, and the home side added a fourth with just two minutes remaining to complete the scoring.