Never say die as Banchory fight back for victory over Westdyke

Westdyke U19’s......................3

Banchory BFC U19’s..............4

Banchory maintained their 100 per cent record in league B with a hard-fought win over an organised and strong Westdyke side.

The conditions were near perfect after all the snow, and with the sun shining, Banchory started the game better, with Sadler feeding in Smith only for the effort to go wide of the post.

Banchory took the lead early on when a long kick out by Leslie found Smith, where in turn he was fouled just outside the box.

Rowett made no mistake from the resultant kick, and placed the ball wide of the keeper and into the corner of the net.

Minutes later, a great throw from Sadler saw Smith turn majestically in the box, and his volley just went wide of the target.

However, the home side were now finding their feet, and with the long ball tactic from the back, it was giving some reward when Leslie had to react quickly to such a ball and clear his lines.

The game was now turning in the favour of the home side, with the Banchory midfield not succeeding in getting the ball down, and with 30 minutes on the clock, Westdyke drew level.

A long throw from the left was not cleared properly, and the ball was thumped home from close range.

This spurred the home side on, and from another long ball, the striker down bore on goal, only for Leslie to produce a fine save to his left.

The game was swinging from end to end now, and as the game neared to half time, controversy struck.

Banchory were awarded a corner. This was duly placed into the box where it was half cleared to the edge of the box.

Greig then fired the ball back in where a defender raised his arm and stopped the ball and a chorus for a penalty went up.

However, the referee did not award this, and from another long ball up field, Shaw went to retrieve the ball.

His clearance was mis-hit and deflected off his shin towards goal.

Leslie duly collected the ball, only for loud appeals from the Westdyke side for a pass back, where the referee thought about it and then awarded the kick.

This was very harsh, and with Banchory feeling aggrieved that seconds earlier a penalty should have been awarded, the inevitable was going to happen, with Westdyke taking the lead from the free-kick.

Half time came with Westdyke in the lead, 2-1.

The second half got under way with Banchory on the attack, but unfortunately with no real direct penetration being applied on the home defence.

Banchory stuck to getting the ball down while the home side looked for the ball over the top.

Westdyke should have increased their lead from such a ball when Rowett mis-timed his jump, where the tricky number 9 found himself clear in on goal only for Leslie to produce another top drawer save.

However, this was short lived when good work down the Westdyke left side saw a lovely fed pass through to the striker and this time he did find the corner of the net to make it 3-1.

Westdyke now looked to consolidate their lead, with play being broken up and a certain amount of time wasting being applied.

Banchory made a couple of tactical changes, which saw Christie going up front and Sadler reverting to the right hand side, with Davies replacing McRae on the left.

From these changes, Banchory reduced the deficit a couple of minutes later when a pass from Nicoll found Davies, and his first time effort deflected off the defender and crept inside the far post.

Banchory were now on the ascendancy with more space in the middle allowed the Deeside team to flow down the pitch.

The game was into the last 10 minutes when a corner was conceded on the right.

With McRae off, Greig was given the task of taking the kick. The beautifully flighted cross was met by Tubby, whose bullet like header bulged the net to draw them level.

Banchory were going for the winner and from a succession of corners Tubby then Rowett both saw good opportunities go wide of the target.

Greig then ventured forward and saw his shot well saved by the keeper.

The game was looking like it was going to end in a draw, when another passing move through the centre saw Davies break clear on the left, where his shot flew past the keeper into the far left hand post.

Westdyke were distraught, having seen their two-goal lead diminish with a Banchory side having the desire to never say die and fight to the end.

The final whistle sounded soon after much, to the delight of the travelling support.

This was a close encounter for Banchory, and with several players missing, made the victory all the more pleasing.

Banchory now take on Ferryhill on Saturday the 13th of April at Milton Crathes where they hope to keep the run going.

Squad – Leslie, Shaw, Greig, Rowett, Tubby, Nicoll, Rogie, McRae, Sadler, Christie, Smith, Davies and Davidson.