Phins reach 2nd round

editorial image

Torphins entertained Newburgh Thistle in the first round of the Dickie Trophy, a cup contested by all 2nd and 3rd Division teams.

Both teams seemed cautious in the early passages of the game but Newburgh curved out several corners.

Bruce was put through on goal on the twenty minute mark but fired well wide of the near post.

A nasty late tackle on young winger Mitchell had both players squaring up at each other, but newly appointed manger Johnstone, was quick to break up the two wrestling Newburgh players to the ground before things turned nasty.

However on 27 minutes the Phins took the lead. Newburgh’s defender, with Michie clipping at his heels, passed the ball back to his goalkeeper. Bruce closed the stopper down and the ball took an awkward bounce and bobbled under the keeper’s legs into the net for 1-0.

Five minutes later, a soft goal brought the sides level. Johnstone nodded the ball into the Newburgh’s forward’s path and he delicately chipped Geddes, who could do nothing to stop the ball.

The first twenty minutes of the second half had Torphins on the back foot with Newburgh pressing.

The centre forward, still causing the biggest threat powered into the box, jinking side to side. He turned Johnstone before rolling the ball back past Allan creating space to fire a shot away. However Geddes made himself big in goals and blocked brilliantly at the front post.

Ballater’s Scott was given his debut on for a straight swap with winger Wright, and the youngster was quick to get involved.
Travers put Scott through on goal in 63 minutes but the winger’s chip dipped too late as it came down the other side of the cross bar.

Just as Torphins were coming back into the game, Newburgh took the lead. Their centre midfielder broke and was allowed far too much time to run at the defence. Allan finally made a challenge but the ball broke to the forward who shrugged off two tackles, before beating Geddes one on one.

The Phins picked themselves up and began coming more and more back into the game. A free kick from Geddes landed in behind the Newburgh defence and Mitchell agonisingly fresh aired missing the ball. Bruce was replaced by Allardyce and Michie was replaced by Smith.

Allardyce was coming deep to get the ball and was combining well with Scott on the wing and won a free kick from a snap shot. With five minutes remaining the set piece was swung in and Travers rose above the rest, but the ball flew over.

Allardyce’s long throw in the last minute found MITCHELL who glanced a header in off the back post and take teh tie into extra time.

Torphins dominated the first half and a great counter attack put the home side in front.

Brown intercepted a pass at the back and came forward with the ball, he squared to Travers who hit a diagonal ball onto winger Scott. The winger knocked the ball onto Smith who swept a ball in from the right hand side and Allardyce directed a pin point header into the corner of the goal.

The second half of extra time began and Newburgh looked frustrated failing to break down this sturdy Phins defence. D Cruickshank picked a ball up on the middle of the path and a nasty late challenge had tempers flaring and D Cruickshank had to be carried off the park. Matters were made worse for Newburgh when Torphins increased their lead. A cross found MITCHELL who blasted high into the net from close range to put a two goal cushion between the two sides.

Another failed Newburgh attack put frustrations at boiling point through the roof. After an attempted head butt, the park turned into a crazy battlefield for a minute, with Brown retaliating, and both sets of side-lines entering the park. Brown and a Newburgh player were sent for an early shower with straight red cards. 
The game soon restarted and on the death Torphins made it five. SMITH was strong to hold off defenders as they pulled the forward back and with pure grit determination the young striker broke free and slid into put the ball hammering past the Newburgh goal keeper.

A fantastic result, putting the Torphins through to the second round of the cup, to face St Laurence.

In a week where manager Pele stepped down due to work commitments the players could not have given their old coach a better send off than a 5–2 victory over a good Newburgh side.