Sorry Saints dumped out of cup by relegated Fraserburgh

editorial image

If there was ever an opportunity to get to the Superleague McLeman Cup Final this was the one, with relegated Fraserburgh visiting Milton Park.

But right from the start the rearranged Banchory defence were all at sea and found it difficult with the pace of the two Broch forwards.

Defensive lapses once again resulted in the two goals, but on this occasion the Saints forwards could not oblige.

Michael Skene, looking uncharacteristically uneasy, gave the ball away in the opening minutes, but Allan Ogston managed to track back to avert the danger.

With only seven minutes on the clock Saints keeper Derek McKenzie attempted a throw out to Skene, but the ball landed in no man’s land giving Fraserburgh’s Bisset a clean run in to slot past the goalkeepert to make the score 1-0.

Banchory could have equalised minutes later from a Campbell Watt corner, but Richard Stainer headed over from close range.

Keith Horne had two long range efforts deflected before a Lewis Shand header was cleared off the line.

Saints were on top but the visitors’ pace up front always made them very dangerous.

Saints continued to press and from a corner on 20 minutes, both Horne and Bob Ritchie had shots blocked.

Fraserburgh were being pinned back at this point and there was a good shout for a penalty when Stainer seemed to be pulled back inside the box, but the referee waved play on.

On 25 minutes Watt supplied Scott Garrett but the Fraserburgh keeper denied the in-form striker with a brilliant save.

Stainer then had his low free kick touched round the post by the keeper as Saints continued to dominate.

Another penalty claim by Saints for hand ball was turned down and cleared up the park for a quick Fraserburgh break that was halted by Skene.

Right on half time a great McRae cross was headed down by Stainer only to cleared on the line by the keeper’s legs.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with Saints having the better chances and their opponents hitting quickly on the break.

Stainer headed past the post from a Horne cross, followed by a low Watt curling cross that found no takers in the six yard box.

Fraserburgh’s McLenan had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 when he failed to control a cross when he had a clear sight of goal.

A let of for Saints but then they allowed centre half Ross to have a clear header from 8 yards that went inches over the bar.

Garrett beat the Broch offside trap that they had worked well all afternoon, but once again it was not Banchory’s day as his curling shot went just past the far post. Midway through the half Josh Robertson replaced Watt.

Another piece of bad defending resulted in the second Fraserburgh goal with 15 minutes remaining.

A free kick just inside the Saints half was missed by the central defenders allowing Forbes to gather the ball and slot past McKenzie.

McRae was replaced by Marc Lawrence two minutes later and then Alan Forbes came on for Bob Ritchie.

Saints continued to push on but were leaving themselves open and McKenzie was forced to make a good save when McLenan was straight through.

Team: Derek McKenzie, Allan Ogston, Michael Skene, Alan McRae (Marc Lawrence), Mark Galashan, Campbell Watt (Josh Robertson), Keith Horne, Lewis Shand, Richard Stainer, Scott Garrett, Robert Ritchie (Alan Forbes). Subs: Gary Cruickshank, Allan Fuller, Ross Salmon.