A public access defibrillator has been donated to the Alford community by a long-established local business.
Gary McLeod, of industrial firm John McLeod and Son, Whitehouse, decided that the impending 90th anniversary of the company would be the ideal time to give something back to the village.
The life-saving equipment has been installed outside the public hall in Kingsford Road and Gary will also cover future maintenance and upkeep costs.
The McLeod family link to the village goes back nearly 90 years.
Jock McLeod served his time as a mechanic with W and R Murray in Alford and built a garage on rented ground at Whitehouse Station in 1927.
The business carried out motor repairs and sold Fordson tractors, employing up to five mechanics and a clerkess.
In the early 1960s Jock’s son Ron and his wife Margaret took over the business and diversified into railway sleepers and storage containers.
With the closure of the rail line under the Beeching cuts, Ron uplifted the railway sleepers from Alford to Kintore, and from Parkhill, Dyce, to Fraserburgh.
Gary took over the business from his father seven years ago.
Alford and District Rotary Club helped in the acquisition of the new defibrillator and Alford Public Hall Committee agreed to its installation on the outside wall and to provide the power supply.