A day to remember


HEROIC Culter celebrated the greatest result in their 120-year history after keeping Partick Thistle at bay to set up a bumper pay day in the Scottish Cup replay at Firhill on Saturday.

The Deesiders recovered from a nightmare start in the third round tie to come back with a stunning leveller from Ryan Stott.

Despite being out on on their feet in the final minutes the Superleague champions almost snatched a sensational winner when Stott had a clear chance in the dying seconds but the midfielder blasted over.

Culter, who were only handed the glamour clash against the Jags after going down 2-0 to Spartans in the previous round when it emerged the East of Scotland champions had fielded an ineligible player, showed little signs of nerves in the opening stages.

They had a chance to break the deadlock with only four minutes elapsed when Andrew Sim made a marauding run forward before crossing to Ryan Stott at the back post but the left-winger just failed to connect with his head.

The First Division side were far more clinical two minutes later when Cairney sold his marker a dummy and then drilled into the bottom corner of the net from 25 yards.

Thistle then appeared to take the foot off the gas and were made to pay in 19 minutes when Stott brilliantly kept his cool to slot into the net after Jamie McAllister’s initial shot had been blocked.

The First Division side remained dangerous and former Montrose defender Darryn Kelly had to produce a couple of last-gasp tackles to keep the Jags at bay.

But Culter refused to be overawed and Stott stung the palms of keeper Scott Fox from long range before the interval.

While Culter tested the Jags with their attacking endeavour and pacy counter-attacks in the first period, it was their rearguard that was called into action in the second half as they clung on for a draw.

In the heart of the home defence, Kelly and James Sievwright typified the Culter spirit.

The latter rarely lost an aerial tussle during an almost flawless 90 minutes while the former made countless well-timed tackles and brave blocks.

Thistle enjoyed more of the play in the second half but were rueful rather than ruthless in front of goal leaving Farquhar with relatively little to do – although the 26-year-old did show great agility to tip away a Cairney free kick which was destined for the top corner.

It was Culter who should have netted a late winner when Stott latched onto a loose pass in the 89th minute but the winger blazed the ball over the bar from the edge of the area with only the keeper to beat.

Culter supporters were over the moon at the final whistle as they cheered the players off on what was an afternoon that will live long in the memory.