Aberdein seals win at Woodside

Echt travelled to meet Premier League leaders Woodside in this league fixture, 18 days after inflicting their first local cup competition defeat of the season.

An early injury was a blow to Echt hopes as Jamie Wood had be to taken off with only five minutes on the clock, Marc Lawrence his replacement.

When Alan Douglas and Ian Leith combined on the edge of the home box, the latter shot across goals and wide.

Echt, defending a left side free kick in 15 minutes, cleared to the edge of their box and Woodside’s Lepkowski unleashed a powerful dipping effort that Paul Bennett touched over his crossbar.

A minute later Matthew McDonald drove forward from the halfway line and laid off to Duncan Chalmers, who inside the Woodside box angled a clear shooting chance but the advancing Thouless beat away his effort.

With play flying end-to-end it was then then Bennett’s goal under threat when following a Ferguson free kick the tricky Lepkowski rifled in a low right side drive that the keeper smothered at the near post.

The trickery of Darren Macleod won Echt two free kicks, from the second of which some 30 yards out Lawrence fired over the top.

Next Woodside’s Main tried his luck from distance but Bennett plucked the ball out of the air into safe hands.

Kieran Graham became Echt’s second injury victim and was replaced by Alan Daun just before the break.

Early second half exchanges were fairly even, Echt hopes were raised in 56 minutes when Macleod raced between two defenders to the edge of the box, forcing Thouless to advance off his line, but the keeper spread himself and pushed the ball wide of his left hand post.

Scott Aberdein rose to head MacLeod’s near post, flag kick delivery, wide of the same post.

Echt made the breakthrough in 63 minutes. Martin McGillivray played a diagonal delivery from the right touchline across the edge of the home box and a home player, who would of cut it out, lost his footing allowing the ball to find Aberdein, who evaded a challenge and beat Thouless at his near post.

Minutes later Lawrence cracked a 20 yarder, that Thouless did well to block.

Woodside, now fully aware of the significance that a defeat here would have on their title hopes, threw caution to the wind in an attempt to get back on level terms but Bennett, and all in front of him, stood firm and on the break Echt could, and probably should, have grabbed a second.

Echt: P Bennett, Graham, Cooper, Douglas, Aberdein, McGillivray, MacLeod, Leith, Chalmers, McDonald, Wood. Subs: Lawrence, Daun, Kirton, L Milne,and D Milne.