Banchory’s bad run continues as MS United put them out of cup

Banchory made the trip into Aberdeen to face fellow Division 1 East side MS United in the AFC Trophy second round hoping a break from the league may help change their poor form so far this season.

The manager’s instructions were simple, it was a break from the league, so go out and enjoy it, although Banchory once again had to call on their dwindling pool of players to field a team.

Alan Lawrence made his first appearance this season, however the veteran striker was used unusually as Goalkeeper due to Neil Davidson being on holiday.

Assistant manager Michael Girvan started up front for only the second time in a number of years and Scott Girvan came in at sweeper for only his third appearance.

With only one substitute to call on should anything go wrong, Banchory were down to the wire, as the substitute in question was Chris Milne, who had been sidelined for four weeks with a bad knee injury, but kindly offered his services well in advance of his due return date.

Banchory however started with the youthful strike force of M Girvan and Brand hoping their combined 77 years of experience would unlock the MS defence.

Banchory started the game on the front foot, and dominated the early proceedings, with early chances for Chalmers, Stewart and the best chance falling for Christie, but all failed to find the net.

However Banchory took a well deserved lead after 20 minutes when some good play from Gilbert and Christie released Brand who found Stewart and he calmly slotted the ball past the MS Utd keeper to put Banchory ahead.

Banchory continued to cause the home team problems with Chalmers combining with Girvan and Brand up front the opposition were finding it difficult to pick up the players.

Christie and Gilbert were working very hard in the middle of the park and the defence were doing the simple things well.

As with Banchory’s season so far, a counter attack on the half hour mark where numerous chances to get the tackle in and clear the danger were missed allowed the MS Utd striker to score with ease.

This changed the game, Banchory were now on the back foot, and Lawrence in goals pulled of a couple of great saves to keep the score level, however just before half time Banchory’s defence parted with ease and allowed both MS strikers to go through on goal to beat Lawrence.

At half time Banchory were forced to make a change when M Girvan had to come off injured and Milne replaced him, Banchory trying to protect the player as much as possible chose to put him on the wing.

The second half was a far closer game, with no team really creating much chances, however again on the hour mark MS Utd scored easily as Banchory’s defence was caught ball watching as the striker strolled in unmarked at the back post to score.

With ten minutes to go, Chalmer pulled a goal back when he out ran the MS defence from the halfway line, and took his goal well.

Banchory finished the game putting pressure on the home team, but apart from a last minute chance falling for Stewart at the back post it was another defeat.

Banchory Team: Lawrence, Lloyd, Smith, S Girvan, McGregor, Stewart, Chalmers, Gilbert, Christie, Brand and M Girvan. Subs: Milne.