Banchory U14s make Swift work of rivals Huntly

Share this article

Milton Park managed to beat the weekend’s torrential conditions and the pitch survived in great condition. Swifts matched the weather and blew the opposition away with five different goal scorers and with a bit more composure in front of goal they could have reached double figures.

Within five minutes Harris Anderson sprinted clear of the Huntly back four but shot straight at the keeper. Seven minutes later a Milne ball to Fraser saw the midfielder in the same situation as Anderson but again the keeper was the saviour, the ball rebounding off his legs.

Swifts were creating plenty of chances and managing to beat the Huntly offsides trap by timing their runs to perfection.

Harris Anderson was foiled again when a neat pass from Cornally meant he was faced with a one on one with the Huntly goalie, this time he beat the keeper but hit the post.

Dean Strachan made a crucial save at the other end of save Huntly taking the lead when he dived full length to push the visitors’ number 9’s shot away.

On 20 minutes Swifts made the breakthrough when Fraser hit the byline and his cross was met by Douglas to nod in from 5 yards.

A few minutes later Flaherty picked the ball up in midfield and after a bit of fancy footwork he drifted past the Huntly players, raced clear of the Huntly defence and slipped the ball past the onrushing keeper to make it 2-0.

Huntly should have pulled a goal back when a free kick from the half way line sailed into the box and was missed by Banchory defenders Siswick and Thomson but the following shot hit the post and was cleared by Cornally.

At the start of the second half Harris Anderson was again released by Milne but his shot from 18 yards came off the crossbar with the keeper catching the rebound.

Ferguson’s shot from the edge of the box then tested the Huntly keeper, all he could do was push it out to Fraser who was alert enough to make it 3-0 from six yards out.

Huntly were still a threat going forward and Strachan again made a vital save when he punched away a free kick in a crowded penalty area. A few minutes later a looping shot did beat the home keeper but it drifted over the bar.

Ferguson playing in right midfield lost his marker and his shot was again saved by Huntly’s number one but Kieran Strachan picked up on the rebound and scored from 18 yards out.

Five minutes later the roles were reversed when Strachan turned provider and Ferguson scored off his precise pass to make it 5-0.

Milne could have scored a late double when on a couple of occasions he was one on one with the keeper but both times he missed the target.