Banchory U17s snatch late win

This was the top of the table encounter against the two undefeated teams in the league and, from past experience, it was going to be a hard encounter.

The match started briskly and it was Cove that had the first chance where a shot from 20yards hit the top of the bar. Banchory responded with a move down the right and Dean cutting a pass to Cumming who blasted at the keeper.

On the 12th minute, Cove forced a corner and Banchory were unable to defend it. Masson pushed the ball onto the bar and Cove followed up and hit the ball into the net to take the lead.

Banchory then came close when Flaherty made a run and cut the ball to Marnoch who saw his shot just go wide.

Flaherty made another run down the right and beat three players, cutting back inside the box and saw his shot pushed out by the keeper. Brimmer was first to respond only to see his shot saved by the keeper.

Banchory got the equaliser they deserved when the keeper could not hold a corner from Flaherty. Marnoch was first to respond, pounced and saw his shot go into the net off the underside of the bar.

The momentum was with Banchory and they took the lead before half time when Cameron forced a ball through to Marnoch who controlled it on the run and then placed it wide of the advancing keeper.

Banchory started the second half stronger and created a chance in the first minute but Cove broke immediately and forced a save from Masson.

Cove then had an excellent chance to equalise when a ball over the top caught the defence cold and the attacker knocked it wide of Masson but shot against the post.

A crossfield ball from Donald split the Cove defence and Cameron took the ball in his stride and passed into the corner of the net to give a two-goal cushion.

Masson came to Banchory’s rescue again as the team started to tire and he stood up the advancing attacker and saved in a one-on-one situation.

Cove pushed forward and were rewarded when their attacker cut in from the left and shot into the corner of the net.

Cove got the equaliser on the 88th minute when a corner was poorly defended and, after making one save from close range, Masson could not repeat from another close range shot.

There was still time for a winner from either side, and a Banchory throw led to a penalty being awarded as Flaherty was pushed from behind.

After a heated exchange, Cumming handled the pressure well and stepped up to hit the ball into the corner of the net away to make it 4-3 to Banchory.