Boys’ promotion push

Playing away at a very wet Hazelhead pitch, Banchory started this match in buoyant and confident mood.

However they were not prepared for the determination of the Culter Rovers players and in the first minute the ball was played fast from midfield and put over the Banchory defence down the right side. The Culter attacker was quickly on the ball and ran in on the goal and placed the ball wide of an advancing Masson on goal and put the hosts 1-0 up.

Banchory were shocked by this start and struggled to find their normal game and were being harried off the ball to easily.

Gradually they started to make chances and on 14 minutes a run down the left by Flaherty forced a corner. Main put he ball into the danger area and Milne had a free header to put the scores level.

Most of Banchory’s chances were coming down the left side and West’s run from defence saw him advance to the Culter box where it appeared he was fouled by a home defender, however, the referee turned down the Banchory appeals.

The visitors were starting to move the ball around better and a ball down the right from Cumming to Main was crossed to Cameron in the six yard box who volleyed but the Culter keeper was able to make a good save.

Culter were always dangerous on the counter attack and they were still posing problems for Grant and Ingram in the right side of the defence. They managed to get one ball over the defence and looked like they were on gaol but Masson was quick off his line to dive on the ball.

The half ended with Banchory on the attack and a great move down the right side saw a cross by Cameron being met and volleyed on the turn by Main but his shot was well saved by the Culter keeper, who was having a great game in keeping the scoreline at 1-1.

The pitch was now really cutting up and it was difficult for both teams to keep their footing in places.

Culter came straight out at the half and were pressing hard but Banchory managed to get an early breakthrough when Booth made a swerving run down in the box and from a tight angle put the ball past the keeper into the corner to make it 2-1.

On 44 minutes Banchory increased their lead with a move down the right from defence by Grant, Flaherty and Brimmer who found Cameron in the box. His shot was unable to be saved and it was now 3-1 to the visitors.

The Culter team did not give up and battled hard for the next 20 minutes as chances were being created by both teams.

The pitch conditions were becoming extreme and sometimes it was like watching novices on “Dancing On Ice” as players struggled to move turn and run in the muddy conditions.

A move from Flaherty and Main down the right saw Main fouled in the box which resulted in a penalty being awarded. Main took the spot kick himself and blasted it past the keeper to make it 4-1.

On 70 minutes Cumming cut inside and laid a ball through to Main, whose shot cannoned against the advancing keeper at the edge of the box. The ball came out to Cumming who shot from 35 yards only to see a miraculous diving header save by the Culter defender.

Banchory were on top and moving the ball well. A move down the left saw West cross to Main who had another volley saved off the line by a defender.

Banchory however were caught on the counter by on 74 minutes when a long ball was played over the defence down the left and the Culter attacker cut inside the box and saw his well struck shot sail past Davidson in goal.

Banchory finished strongly though and on 79 minutes Donald had the last chance when he was put through by Brimmer but saw his shot just went wide of the post.

A hard physical match due to the stamina sapping conditions, but Banchory’s win keeps them in the top half and still pushing for promotion.

Banchory: Masson, Grant, Ingram, Milne, West, Cumming, Booth, Brimmer, Flaherty, Cameron, Main, Donald, Davidson.