editorial image
Share this article

Culter won their fifth Superleague title in style with a stunning performance against Hermes at Crombie Park on Tuesday night.

Hat tricks from Jamie McAllister and Michael Taylor secured a 6-0 victory.

And the win saw Culter wrap up the title with three games to spare.

Culter started the stronger of the two teams and came close to scoring when Youngson burst through from midfield only to be denied by a last ditch tackle.

It did not take long before Culter broke the deadlock when MCALLISTER was left alone from a corner to head past Irvine in the Hermes goal.

McKimmie went close shortly after but fired over after a good run down the right.

The Hermes defence were struggling to cope with set pieces and were fortunate to see two headers deflect off the post.

However the away side nearly equalised when a McKenzie effort was deflected over the bar by Kelly and then Gairns headed wide when in space.

Culter continued to cause problems from set pieces and MCALLISTER scored an almost identical goal in the 23rd minute when he headed home from a McKimmie corner.

The referee waved away Culter appeals for a penalty after half an hour when striker McKimmie appeared to be tripped just inside the box.

The Culter attacker was again hacked down by Watson five minutes later but the loose ball fell to his strike partner TAYLOR who rolled the ball into an empty net to make the score 3-0 at half time.

Culter added to their tally only three minutes after the break when TAYLOR collected a Craik through ball and nudged it past the approaching Hermes goalkeeper.

McAllister and McKimmie both had chances before the latter was presented with a golden opportunity from twelve yards but the striker blazed over the bar with time to pick his spot.

Hermes almost pulled a goal back just after the hour mark but Courage’s long range effort cannoned back off the crossbar.

Culter made a substitution with Youngson replaced by Wilson but it was MCALLISTER who grabbed his third goal with another header from a corner in the 70th minute.

Shortly after the hat trick hero was replaced by Dod McBain as Culter continued to dictate the play and Craik thundered a shot off the crossbar from thirty yards.

Taylor was given the opportunity to score his third goal of the match when he stepped up to take a penalty after McBain was tripped, but his effort was saved by Irvine.

However, the Culter striker was not to be denied his hat trick when Stott laid the ball back to TAYLOR who calmly placed the ball in the net from twelve yards.

Stott had a shot that was cleared off the line by Watson and then McBain fired wide as Culter comfortably saw the game out and were crowned the Superleague champions for the first time in four years.

Culter team: John Farquhar, Scott McArthur, Hugh Robertson, Daryn Kelly, Greg Donald, Colin Craik, Jamie McAllister, Allan Youngson, Michael Taylor, Lewis McKimmie, Ryan Stott.

Substitutes: Wilson, Murray, McBain, Wyness, Pyper, Rattray, Duguid (Gk)

Hermes team: Irvine, Watson, Adams, Freeland, Winton, Wilson, Courage, Hamilton, Stuart, Gairns, Djahansouzi.

Substitutes: Massie, Reid, Holt, Smith, Ritchie (Gk)

Referee: Andy Milne. Assistant Referees: Fraser Wallace and Bob Alexander.