Culter back to winning ways

editorial image

Lewis United . . . . . . . . 2

Culter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4

Following a four-week lay-off owing to weather, Culter got back in action with a McBookie McLeman Cup first round tie against Lewis United at the Sport’s Village in Aberdeen.

Davie Grieg made his debut since signing from Banks o Dee and Jamie McAllister scored his 50th goal of the season as he homes in on Neil ‘Toastie’ McRitchie’s scoring record for Culter.

Greig delivered a couple of dangerous crosses into the home box early on that caused the Lewis defence all sorts of problems but the first real chance fell to Taylor. McBain laid the ball into the path of tall striker but his shot was pushed away by keeper Stewart.

McBain’s curling 20-yard shot was then spectacularly tipped over the bar by Stewart.

Culter went ahead after 14 minutes, Greig surging down the wing and his cross being met by Michael Taylor whose overhead kick flew past the home keeper.

A minute later and Culter doubled their lead. McAllister passed to McBain whose mistimed shot flew across the goal into the path of the in-rushing Davie Greig to stroke home his first Culter goal.

Sim went on a mazy run in the 18th minute and appeared to lose the ball only to win it back again and it fell kindly to Jamie McAllister who slotted the ball home with ease from 12 yards. No wonder he celebrated as it was his 50th goal of the season.

McBain almost added a fourth when following a typical run down the left, leaving opposition players scrambling in his wake, he shot wide from inside the box.

McKinnon had a great chance to pull one back for the home side after he beat the offside trap only to shot wide when clean though on goal.

However, in the 38th minute they did pull one back. A needless, clumsy challenge resulted in Kelly bringing down McKinnon in the box and up stepped Pirie to score from the penalty spot.

Two minutes later and Lewis United were right back in the game. McKinnon turned his marker on the half way line and raced though on goal before shooting past Duffy.

Taylor hit the crossbar, McBain headed over from close range and McAllister shot wide as the half whistle blew.

Two minutes into the second half, McAllister played the ball wide to Davie Greig and the winger steadied himself before firing a low shot past the rooted keeper.

Moments later and Brown replaced Greig that received a bigger cheer than anything coming out of nearby Pittodrie.

McArthur skipped past a couple of defenders but blasted over then Stewart spilled a Sim shot but saved at the second attempt.

Kelly denied Pirie with a great block in the away box while at the other end McAllister’s stinging shot towards the top corner was palmed away.

The lack of games for both sides began to tell as both teams tired but there was still time for McAllister to turn his marker inside out before seeing his parting shot saved by the legs of Stewart.