Culter Boys edged out by Albion in President’s Cup 2nd round tie

editorial image

After their first round victory over Banchory Boys Club, Culter were drawn at home against Albion Boys Club, one of the top teams in Scotland and already a semi-finalist in the SYFA Challenge Cup this season.

The visitors pressed from the start but the Culter defence held firm, mainly restricting Albion to long balls over the top.

Albion’s persistence paid off in the 12th minute when a shot from the left hit the underside of the bar and bounced into the net.

Culter had an opportunity to equalise two minutes later when Paterson was played through on goal but he sent his effort over the bar.

The home team were made to pay for some sloppy defending when Albion captain RAE twice headed home from crosses to put the visitors three goals ahead.

Culter thought they had won a penalty on the half hour when Gergerechi went tumbling in the box but the referee waved play on.

On the stroke of half-time, there were appeals for a penalty from Albion when Culter keeper Gibbs collided with the onrushing Pashley but once again the referee was unconvinced. Albion increased their lead again in the 12th minute of the second half when the ball broke to DAVIDSON on the edge of the box to slot home.

Four minutes later, LIVERSEDGE was released down the left wing and he placed his shot wide of Gibbs and into the right hand corner of the net to heap further misery on the hosts.

With most of the crowd expecting Albion to continue their onslaught, Culter brought on striker ANDERSON and with his first touch turned his marker and scored from the edge of the goal area.

Less than five minutes later, Smith challenged for the ball in midfield and released GEIDER to outpace the Albion defence and place the ball past the goalkeeper and into the net.

Albion regained their four goal advantage when a free kick was guided in off the post but Culter responded immediately when Smith’s free kick was flicked onto the post by an Albion defender but O’HARA was first to react and prod home from close range.

With time running out, the home team left the best for last when United’s Christie fired in a corner from the right that dropped to COOK on the edge of the box and he drove his left foot shot high into the net as the score ended 6-4 in favour of the away side.

Culter United team: Gibb, J Moffatt, Treasure, G Moffatt, Cook, Geider, Smith, Dow, Christie, Paterson, Gergerechi. Subs: Benstead, Cooper, O’Hara, Anderson, Walker.