Culter cruise into second round of cup

Share this article

The Deesiders cruised into the next round of the GA Engineering Cup with on form striker Jamie McAllister grabbing a hat trick. His up front partnership with Dod McBain is paying rich dividends. His more illustrious boxing namesake may be called the Aberdeen Assassin but Jamie is rapidly becoming the Culter Cutthroat.

On a pitch which was more suited to harvesting silage Culter had the cutting edge and were on the attack from the off but Dod McBain could only shoot weakly at Greig Simpson in the United goal before an Allan Youngson free kick sizzled just wide.

The dynamic duo of McBain and McAllister then combined to set up a good chance but the latter fired into the side netting.

United were finding it hard to get out of their own half despite a stiff breeze at their backs and were punished when Jamie McAllister was felled in the box and he dusted himself down and stroked the spot kick low into the net.

Culter then won a series of five corners which came to zilch before Ian Leith headed powerfully wide from a McBain cross.

A few minutes later a Hugh Robertson cross found McAllister who headed onto the post with the United custodian rooted.

The visitors went two up just after the half hour mark when some trickery by McBain allowed himself space and he whipped a ball into the box and McAllister arrived to steer the ball home.

United looked to be back in it a minute later with their first real attack of the game with Colin Craik committing a foul on the edge of the area. Although the defensive wall looked solid Barry Milne bent a beauty of a free kick low into the net.

Moments later McBain was axed in the in the box to secure a second penalty for the visitors but this time McAllister skied his attempt way over the bar.

On the stroke of half time Youngson tried a pot shot from long range and was unfortunate to see his effort sail just over.

It didn’t take the Deesiders to go further ahead and this time Youngson found McBain in space who picked out his strike partner McAllister who finished clinically for his hat trick.

Leith then had a good hit which drifted just wide before Culter sent on Mike Taylor and Darren McAllister for Jamie McAllister and Ian Leith.

Taylor was soon in the action but his deflected shot was saved by the ’keeper.

D. McAllister was then booked for a rash challenge before Ross McWilliam came on for McBain.

There was a disaster for D. McAllister moments later when he was shown a second yellow for an overzealous tackle and referee Scott McIntyre had little choice but to send him packing.

Despite being down to ten men Culter continued to dominate with Neil Reid and Adam Wilson marshalling the defence superbly and Richard Shand orchestrating proceedings in the middle of the park.

Culter had the ball in the net again following a mazy run from Scott McArthur and his skittering shot hit the post. Taylor was on hand to follow up but he was adjudged to be offside.

Culter: Farquhar, McArthur, Robertson, Reid, Wilson, Shand, Youngson, Craik, J. McAllister, McBain, Leith. Subs: Taylor, McWilliam, Sim, D. McAllister, Duguid.

Hall Russell United: Simpson, Russell, Clunas, Robertson, Whitfield, Anderson, Milne, Mackie, Shaw, Stuart, Foy. Subs: Hay, Petrie, Innes, S. Carrol, C. Carrol.