Culter crush 10-man Saints

editorial image

In what was expected to be a close match Culter completely outplayed their local rivals in the Deeside derby, severely denting the Saints’ league chances whilst improving their own title ambitions. Banchory were seriously hampered when full-back Josh Robertson was shown a straight red in the 30th minute for denying Lewis McKimmie a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Saints started on the attack in the opening exchanges but it was Culter who had the first real chance when Colin Craik picked out Ross McWilliam who released Ryan Stott but the winger might have done better than shoot wide when clean through on goal after five minutes.

Culter were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area in the 15th minute and Adam Wilson stepped up to fire his shot through the wall and into the net.

At the other end Saints created an opening when Keith Horne set up Scott Garrett but he delayed and his effort was cleared.

Adam Wilson almost added a second for Culter a few moments later but his looping header from a Hugh Robertson cross nestled on the top of the net.

Saints almost levelled when Scott Garrett crossed for Keith Horne but his shot was well saved by John Farquhar.

Culter grabbed a crucial second in the 25th minute when a Ryan Stott cross was met first time by Jamie McAllister who blasted home giving Keith McKenzie no chance in the Banchory goal. Culter were then awarded another free kick on the edge of the box but this time Adam Wilson’s attempt was well saved by McKenzie.

Play continued to ebb and flow and a Josh Robertson cross was rather fortunately headed back to his ‘keeper by Darryn Kelly.

Banchory’s chances were dealt a bitter blow when Josh Robertson was sent for an early shower when he was shown a straight red card by referee Usman Jamed for a professional foul on McKimmie.

Culter began to dominate with both Adam Wilson and Ross McWilliam going close.

In a rare Banchory break, Jim Fettes shot just wide but it was Culter who almost went further ahead but this time Adam Wilson’s effort flashed just over.

At the start of the second period Culter continued to pressure the Saints defence with Ross McWilliam bringing out two good saves from Keith McKenzie as Banchory began to tire with their numerical disadvantage, although Scott Garrett tried his luck from distance but John Farquhar saved easily.

Culter went three up following a terrific run and shot by Hugh Robertson and despite Keith McKenzie making a good save, Lewis McKimmie was on hand to turn the ball into the empty net. The match was effictively over as a contest but the home side continued to press and grabbed a fourth when Mike Taylor found Jamie McAllister, who added his second with a clinical finish.

Culter added to Saints’ misery when Mike Taylor completed the rout with a fine finish.

Culter: Farquhar, Donald, Robertson, Kelly, Sievewright, Craik, Wilson, McAllister, McWilliam, McKimmie, Stott. Subs: Taylor, Pyper, Wyness, Murray, McArthur, Youngson Duguid.

Banchory St. Ternan: McKenzie, Ogston, Robertson, McRae, Galashan, Fuller, Horne, Fettes, Garrett, Stainer, Shand. Subs: Forbes, Cruikshank, Lawrence, Watt, Salmon.

Referee: Usman Jamed, Assistants: Daniel Donohoe, Steve Christie.