Culter leave it late to sneak three points

Culter made it three wins from three in the Superleague but only after a real ding-dong battle against old rivals Longside.

Neil Reid missed the trip due to injury but Michael Taylor made his first start since re-signing in a team that included trialist Cullum Grindlay.

Culter started brightly and McBain finished a mazy run only to see his curling 20 yard shot just miss the target. But a goal was always on the cards and it came in the 8th minute.

Robertson’s long ball found Taylor who sprinted clear of the home defence before squaring the ball to Jamie McALISTER to blast home from close range.

Taylor headed over a McBain cross but in the 14th minute the same player was fouled just over 20 yards out. Adam WILSON stepped up to thunder the ball into the net despite keeper Duffy getting a hand to the ball.

The home team pulled one back in the 27th minute, substitute Ewen LITTLE was left free at the front post to flash home a header.

It was then all square in the 43rd minute when LITTLE collected a pass 25 yards out and sent a terrific curling shot into the top corner.

Straight from the restart Culter give the ball away and Bruce’s cross from the right was punched by Farquhar only for the ball to hit a Culter defender and land at the feet of Ewen LITTLE again who had the easy task of knocking the ball into the empty net to complete his quickfire hat trick.

Culter were back on level terms a minute after the break. A mix up in the home defence allowed Jamie McALLISTER to break away and slot the ball beneath the oncoming Duffy.

Youngson headed over a Darren McAllister cross while at the other end Farquhar spilled a volley from Bruce but Robertson was on hand to clear the danger.

Little’s cross flashed across the away goal with Stainton just failing to connect in the 73rd minute.

Taylor squared to McBain who skipped past a couple of defenders before shooting wide and Jamie McAllister then laid the ball into the path of Youngson who blasted over.

McBain went on another trademark run before his cross was headed just wide by Taylor.

McBain ran though the heart of the home defence only to see his parting shot saved by the foot of Duffy.

Leith sent over a corner in the 87th minute and to the amazement of the home team the referee had awarded Culter a penalty. He indicated that centre half Craik had been holding down McAllister and up stepped George McBAIN to thump the ball high into the net from 12 yards.

Bruce was booked for protesting at this point and the same player received a second yellow after the final whistle for words said to the referee.

Culter: John Farquhar, Scott McArthur, Hugh Robertson, Adam Wilson, Murray Rattray, Richard Shand, Darren McAllister, Allan Youngson, Jamie McAllister, Michael Taylor, George McBain.