Culter pay the penalty

editorial image

Culter were denied all three points after conceding an injury time penalty at Longside on Saturday.

Culter started well as McWilliam had his low shot saved by the legs of Thomson in the opening minute.

The Deesiders took a deserved lead after 21 minutes. A long clearance by Robertson was headed back towards goal by Beddie but Andrew SIM nipped to tap the ball home. Culter doubled their lead ten minutes before half time when Robertson’s 25 yard free kick was deflected on to the crossbar and Chris MOUNTFORD was on hand to tap into the empty net.

Culter goalkeeper Farquhar produced a terrific one hand save to deny Marchi in the 43rd minute but just before the break Longside pulled a goal back.

Farquhar upended Norris in the box and Paul CAMPBELL stepped up to score from the spot.

Seconds later Campbell was lucky to escape with a yellow card after his two footed challenge on Craik.

Two minutes into the second half the home side equalised. With the ball bouncing about the Culter box and the defence failing to clear their lines, Nico MARCHI nipped in to shoot high past Farquhar.

Culter went straight up the park and McBain’s shot was blocked but the ball rebounded to Chris MOUNTFORD who drilled the ball home for 3-2.

Butcher hit the post when left with an open goal on and at the other end McWilliam had a header booted off the line by Beddie.

McArthur had the Culter players screaming for a penalty when he was tripped in the box after his mazy run but the referee waved away the claims.

Mountford and McWilliam both had shots well saved before Youngson showed great skill on the ball before his lob was touched over by Thomson.

In the 92nd minute Farquhar beat away Little’s piledriver with the ball landing to Norris in an offside position before going down in the box. With the linesman flagging for offside and the referee pointing to the spot the linesman decided to change his mind allowing NORRIS to again step up to score from the penalty spot to give both teams a point.