Culter reach cup final

editorial image

Culter will meet Inverness City in the final of the Dominos Pizza North Regional Cup after seeing off Stonehaven in convincing style.

The match kicked off on a heavy pitch that survived a last minute inspection and the game bust into life in the 6th minute.

Stonehaven’s Martin Shand latched onto a poor pass-back and shot past Farquhar, the ball seemed to heading past the post but former Banchory striker Keith HORNE was on hand to tap the ball into the net from only inches out.

Farquhar then got down well to turn away Duncan’s powerful 18 yard strike but it was all even in the 21st minute.

McKimmie and McWilliam combined well to work their way though the home defence and McWilliam played the ball wide to George McBAIN, who took one touch before sending an low drive past Smith.

The home keeper then had to look sharp to touch McKimmie’s 20 yard lob over for a corner.

Shortly before half time Youngson sent a great pass into the path of McAllister but his parting shot was easily saved.

After the break, Horne flashed a header wide and at the other end McWilliam was denied by a last minute block by Croll.

McArthur then ran onto a Shand pass and worked his way into the box only to see his shot just clear the upright.

McKimmie picked up the ball on the halfway line and made way to the corner of the box where his shot-cum-cross just cleared the bar.

In the 56th minute the game turned as the referee decided to give Culter’s Richard Shand a second yellow card for an unknown reason and the away team were reduced to ten men.

This seemed to spur Culter on and McAllister saw his snap shot just clear the post.

McBain sent in a great cross from the left which saw McAllister’s header well saved by Smith but Allan YOUNGSON was on hand to knock in the rebound in the 68th minute.

The Hive were not finished yet and Farquhar had to look smart to turn away Martin Shand’s shot.

Allan YOUNGSON took the ball for a run in the 70th minute and after a clever one-two with McBain, walked the ball past Smith for 3-1.

It was game over in the 85th minute when McBain drove the ball across goal that was met by the inrushing Jamie McALLISTER to slot home to seal Culter’s place in the final.