Culter survive late comeback

Defending Superleague champions Culter edged out Lewis United by the odd goal in five to keep their title hopes alive.

Both teams only had squads of fourteen players to choose from with Culter missing Kelly, Wilson, Brown, Craik, and the injured McKimmie.

The home team started well with Robertson first seeing his powerful 30 yard free kick deflect over and then the same players 20 yard free kick shaving the post.

Law responded for Lewis in the 16th minute and was unlucky to see his angled shot rebound off the post.

Jamie McAllister then blasted over, headed wide and then had a shot saved as the pressure continued.

But the home team finally got the goal their play deserved when George McBAIN latched onto a long Seivwright though ball and sent a perfect 18 yard lob over the keeper and into the net.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled. Darren McALLISTER won a corner on the left and his in swinging corner beat everyone and flew in at the back post for his first Culter goal.

Cheyne should have pulled one back straight away but his free header flew over the bar from close range. Farquhar then plucked a powerful Hay shot out of the air.

McBain showed great skill to control a high pass but fluffed his shot wide from a great position. The leg of Fyfe then denied what looked a certain goal for Mountford before Fyfe again saved but this time from McBain.

The game looked over in the 51st minute when Jamie McALLISTER latched onto a McBain flick and his low shot found the net despite the efforts of the away keeper.

Six minutes later the Lewis manager was sent from the dugout as the away team continued to show there frustrations at the referee.

But in one crazy minute the game changed, LAW controlled a cross at the back post before drilling the ball into the corner of the net in the 74th minute.

Seconds later and BISKUP brushed off the challenge of Murray and slotted into the net from a tight angle.

Jamie McAllister raced though on goal and keeper Fyfe again saved only for the rebound to be hit by the grounded winger but his shot was cleared off the line by Stephen.

Youngson’s attempted lob was easily claimed by Fyfe before United’s Stephen was red carded for a two-footed challenge on Shand in the 87th minute as Culter held on for the win.

This Saturday Culter host Broughty Athletic at Crombie Park in the quarter-finals of the GA Engineering Inter Regional Trophy.