Cup run comes to an end for Culter

Share this article

Culter’s Scottish Cup dream came to an end as Partick Thistle dominated the match from start to finish in terrible overhead conditions at Firhill.

The Deesiders had hoped to frustrate their hosts early on but the game plan went right out the window after only eleven seconds. Thistle kicked the game off and were a goal in front when Tommy Stewart was able to head the ball into the path of Christie Elliot and he drilled the ball past Farquhar and into the Culter net.

The home side were obviously keen to press home their early advantage and could even have found themselves further ahead in the first five minutes.

Culter gradually eased their way into the game but the home side extended their lead in the 26th minute.

Chris Erskine threaded a pass through to Paul Cairney who calmly took the ball round Farquhar before rolling the ball over the line.

Three minutes later the tie was effectively over as Partick scored their third of the afternoon.

Cairney managed to create space for himself at the edge of the box and his crisp shot found the back of the net.

In the 36th minute Cairney was close to completing a first half hat-trick. A short corner on the right hand side was worked into the path of Cairney and his chipped effort went over the head of Farquhar but floated just over the bar.

A curling cross from Aaron Sinclair nearly found the net and a Tommy Stewart header went just wide as Thistle remained in total control of the proceedings.

Culter survived until the break, with Adam Wilson and Jamie McAllister battling hard in midfield, Ryan Stott looking to provide and Allan Youngson working tirelessly up front.

Just as they had done in the first half, Thistle hit the target early in the second half. Paul Paton’s long ball forward was collected by Chris Erskine and he lifted the ball over the Culter keeper who couldn’t quite get back in time to prevent the ball crossing the line.

Aaron Sinclair went in the 56th minute when his header struck the bar. Seconds later Scott Robertson headed wide when a goal looked likely.

Although now looking resigned to their fate, Culter were still showing plenty of spirit and in the 62nd minute they were close to registering a goal of their own but substitute Donald couldn’t quite direct a cross from the right into the Thistle net.

With Culter visibly tiring Thistle should have had a fifth goal in the 67th minute. Chris Erskine was able to cut right through the Culter defence but was let down by his finish, lifting the ball over the bar with just Farquhar to beat.

Four minutes later Erskine did force the Culter goalkeeper into a fine save low to his right as the game continued to be played pretty much exclusively in the Culter half.

For all Thistle’s dominance Culter were still keeping their shape and making it difficult for the home side.

Culter had the woodwork to thank again in the 84th minute when Cairney was denied a hat-trick when his free kick from the edge of the box struck the bar.

At full-time the 300 Culter supporters who braved the miserable conditions acknowledged the hard work their team had put in and stood in appreciation as they left the pitch.

Team: Farquar, Sim, Robertson, Kelly, Seivwright, McAllister, McBain, Wilson, Youngson, McKimmie, Stott. Subs: McWilliam, Shand, Crosbie, McIntosh, Donald.