Deeside delight

editorial image
Share this article

Teams from Montrose, Moray, Mackie and Aberdeen Grammar travelled to Deeside to compete in this year’s pre-season U18 tens tournament.

The first matches kicked off at 11.15 with Deeside versus Grammar and Moray versus Montrose.

Deeside's Matthew Gordon takes the ball forward to launch another attack

Deeside's Matthew Gordon takes the ball forward to launch another attack

Grammar quickly took the initiative against Deeside and with only six minutes gone the host side were two tries down, not the start they wanted. Deeside eventually settled and hit back just before half time to bring the score to 7-12. In the second half Deeside found their form and started to play the quick ball game they have been developing over the summer. Three Deeside tries followed all created by quick hands and quick realignment Deeside running out deserved winners 26-12.

Deeside faced Montrose next, who had just been beaten by Moray in the first round 24-5. Deeside switched the team around completely for this game but without upsetting the patterns of play. Montrose scored two good tries one in each half but Deeside made more effective use of space and the final score was 42-10.

The next two games were played between Mackie and Moray and Montrose and Grammar. Mackie vs Moray was a close encounter indeed, both sides scored three tries each but Mackie converted two and Moray could manage only one conversion giving a win to Mackie 19-17. Grammar ran in seven tries in the other game, with Montrose only crossing the try line once for a final score of 45-7.

Despite some torrential rain trying to put out the barbeque the teams were soon back in action again with Deeside versus Moray and Montrose versus Mackie. Deeside’s game plan again proved effective and Moray has no answer to seven tries scored against them, 32-0 the final score in that game. On the other pitch Montrose lost their final game to Mackie 45-7, but showed they have potential by scoring against every team in the competition, which only Grammar and Deeside matched.

The final game on pitch 2 between Moray and Grammar looked like it could have gone either way. In the first half both teams scored three tries a piece, though Grammar’s were all converted by drop goals as per Ten’s law, and Moray could only convert one. The second half was a tighter defensive game on both sides but Grammar broke down Moray twice and Moray could only manage one try in return, the final score 24-30 to Grammar.

Only Mackie and Deeside had won all their games so far and the final game on pitch 1 saw these two teams compete in a fitting finale for the trophy, last year won by Stirling County. Deeside opened the scoring and by half time had stretched their lead to a three try 15-0. By the second half both teams seemed to have run out of steam and without further score Deeside were triumphant at the final whistle. It was a great achievement for Deeside to win their own tournament which was played in good spirit by all teams throughout. Deeside scored a total of 21 tries out of the grand total of 68 tries that the spectators were treated to, they conceded only four. They start in the Caledonian North 1 league with their first fixture at home at Banchory, Woodend to Mackie this Saturday, KO 1 pm. See for more information. Organisers would like to thank all who contributed to the success of the event.

Deeside: Connor Bull, Matthew Gordon, Peter Lamont, Andrew Mullins, Alexander Taylor, Douglas Park, Struan Gordon, Matthew Hillier, Rafe Welsh, Patrick Nichol, Duncan Harle, Andrew Hardman, Matthew MacFarlane, George Watt, Luke Earle-Wright, Tom Christie, Sam Morris, Chris Long, Chris Ballantyne.