Deeside U15s progress

Deeside U15s made a good start to their Caley Cup campaign with a convincing 34-17 win against Aberdeen Wanderers in perfect conditions at the Woodend pitches.

Monday, 27th February 2012, 10:16 am

The U15s provided plenty of entertainment for the spectators, with centre James Long opening the scoring within 3 minutes, with a break down the wing and then converting his own try.

Wanderers settled more and although Deeside had most of the possession and territory the Wanderers defence held out.

The deadlock was broken by No.8 Ian Hay-Higgins breaking several tackles to power away from the Wanderers pack, through the back line and over for a very individual try.

Deeside now had a reasonable grip on the game and began to move the ball fluidly along the back line to use their pace in the backs to best advantage.

The forwards had also begun to dominate the rucks and in the set piece Deeside also had the upper hand with the front row trio of Cameron Tibbets, Daniel Dunn, and Ruaridh Diack providing a solid platform, shoving the Wanderers pack backwards at most scrums.

Deeside’s Ben Hessel, playing at centre, made a break and crossed the line for Deeside’s third try, converted by Jack Christie.

The Wanderers rallied and although they struggled to string together attacks that involved their whole backline, their best ball carriers were excellent at shrugging off Deeside’s first up tacklers and from a quick tap penalty caught Deeside sleeping and drove over for their first try of the game.

With only minutes of the half remaining, that could have been the last score of the half but Ian Hay-Higgins had other ideas and with another characteristic tackle busting run went over again meaning that Deeside had the last word of the half as they led 24-5.

The second half saw Deeside playing with the slight breeze behind them and although this offered an advantage with territory they failed to use it to full effect preferring the more difficult option of playing out of their own 22.

Solid defence helped them to get away with this, but Wanderers threatened on several occasions when ball was turned over.

A lineout well taken by Daniel Graham distributed quickly from Christie to Long at centre provided the opportunity for a long clearance and Long’s kick moved play once again into the more comfortable region of Wanderers’ 22.

With Deeside now on the attack again Ian Hay-Higgins once again broke through the defence for his hat-trick.

A further second try soon followed for centre Ben Hessel and although Wanderers also scored two tries of their own to match Deeside in the second half, both were down to the best ball carrier and his ability to break tackles, whereas Deeside with their more varied team play were deserved winners 34-17.

This win takes Deeside into the quarter finals of the Caley Cup and based on this performance they could go further still.