Defeated at Dee

Share this article

Banchory included Steve Thompson at centre half after serving a three match suspension from last season, otherwise it was much the same as the side who had lost out to Stonehaven during the week.

Craig Simpson shot straight at the keeper with only two minutes gone, but the ball was cleared up the park and Thompson was beaten to the ball by a Dee forward who squared for McCall to fire into the roof of the net despite Chris Irvine getting a hand to it.

Seven minutes later Thompson was involved again when he was fouled just outside the corner of the box and a beautifully worked free kick allowed Scaiff to score Dee’s second.

A bad start for Banchory but they were certainly not down and out as both Craig Simpson and Jack Henderson both came close. And a penalty should have been awared to Saints when Simpson was pushed in the box but for the referee waved play on.

A bad Chris Irvine clearance went straight to a Dee player who took one touch and fortunately for Irvine hit the side netting.

Irvine then pulled off a fine save to palm away a fierce drive. The referee gave another strange decision when he gave Henderson offside when he was clean through when two Dee players played him onside.

Cruel luck on 33 minutes made it 3-0 to the home side when Thompson stretched to clear but only succeeded in looping the ball over Irvine’s head into his own net off the post.

Dean Leith was presented with a fairly simple chance on 40 minutes but only half hit his shot from 8 yards, and then Henderson’s strength gave himself a chance but the Dee keeper made a good save.

Banchory came out in the second half and showed they were determined to get back in the game.

Darren Reid ventured forward to send a 20 yard effort a foot over the Dee bar. And then on 57 minutes Henderson chested down a high ball flicked on to Biskup who beat the offside trap and slid the ball under the advancing Dee keeper.

Changes were made by Saints immediately after with Adam and Henderson being replaced by Milne and Presly. Simpson was having an effective game down the left and he forced a save from the home keeper.

Dee were still very much in it and Thompson had to look lively to clear and then Irvine made a great save at his post to deny Dee getting their three goal lead back. Simpson and Leith both forced saves at the other end as play was flowing from end-to-end.

Substitute Presly was buzzing and he found himself clear but hurried his shot to shoot well past from long range.

Buchan’s short back header almost presented a fourth goal for Dee but the shot went well wide on 82 minutes.

Chances were coming thick and fast for both sides, but it was Dee who went 4-1 up when a cross evaded the head of Thompson and then ran past Reid to Scaiff who rifled past Irvine.

But Banchory were not finished and substitute Danny Ross picked the ball up in midfield 30 yards out and sent a dipping shot over the Dee keeper.

From a throw in in the final minute Biskup went past two Dee defenders but his low shot came off the base off the Dee post and was scrambled to safety.

Team: Irvine, Reid, Robertson, Buchan, Thompson, Leith (Ross), Close, Adam (Milne), Biskup, Henderson (Presly), Simpson. Subs: Graham, Ross.