Defensive errors cost Banchory

Banchory travelled to fellow strugglers Newmachar with both teams knowing the importance of securing all three points as both fight for survival.

Newmachar took the game to Banchory in the opening stages and were camped in the Banchory half as the away team looked all at sea.

Ten minutes into the game and Newmacher took a deserved lead when poor defending and communication allowed the home team to score a simple goal as the forward nipped in to slot the ball into an empty net.

Banchory could not muster up any threat and with half an hour gone it looked like there was only one team wanting to win, as Banchory had no answer to the constant pressure from the home team.

The game however did change just before half time when a couple of breaks by Chalmers caused the home team trouble and Tully through the middle was letting his presence be known, which seemed to unsettle the home team.

With two minutes to go until half time Chalmers came close to the equaliser only for the keeper to pull off a good save.

From the resulting corner the ball was cleared to the edge of the box and a great ball crossed over by Gilbert was met by Chalmers at the back post to get the away team back on level terms.

From the restart Newmacher came right back at Banchory and forced a good save from Davidson, however from the corner and right on half time poor defending allowed the ball to drop three yards out and the defence froze as the forward simply back heeled the ball into the net as the whistle blew for the break.

Banchory started the second half on the front foot as some solid play in the middle of the park from Gilbert, Rooney and Christie allowed Banchory to take control of the game and Chalmers’ pace down the right was causing the home team all sorts of problems.

Rooney found Chalmers and as he slotted the ball past the keeper but the referee blew for offside, although it looked to be a disputable call. However, an almost identical play resulted in Christie finding Rooney and his pass this time beat the offside trap and Chalmers calmly slotted the ball into the top corner.

It was all Banchory now and on the hour mark some good play by Rooney found Meldrum and his shot-cum-cross fell to the back post where Chalmers was coming in at pace to slot the ball into the net but the referee again blew for offside to the dismay of the away side.

Banchory then conceded a soft free kick on the left and from the resulting kick the unmarked forward met the cross to tap in the third for Newmachar.

Banchory made two changes bringing on Mackie and Norton, however within three minutes the game was over as the ball broke free and the Newmachar midfielder went on a 50 yard run and as Davisdon tried to close him down his chip eluded the keeper’s grasp and gave Newmachar a 4-2 lead.

As the game came to a close Banchory looked a beaten team after doing so well at the start of the second half.

However they still had two great chances to score. First the ball fell to Chalmers but his effort was blocked, and then Mackie, playing for the first time in four months, had a great chance at the back post but he fired wide.

Banchory are running out of games as they look to stay in the First Division and as the injury list seems to only increase with little sign of players returning for the end of season it going to be a challenge.

The league, however, is still extremely tight and with Banchory continually playing well against the top teams, they must find a way of beating the teams at the bottom to have any chance of survival, starting on Saturday with a home game against AC Mill Inn.

Banchory Team: Davidson, Lloyd, Brand, John Smith, MacGregor, Rooney, Christie, Gilbert, Meldrum, Tully and Chalmers. Subs: Norton, Mackie, Girvan and M Girvan.