Douglas seals win

Echt were back in league business for the first time since late October, as they faced Bon Accord City for the first time this season.

Echt were presented with a great early opportunity to get their noses in front as visiting keeper Kennedy and two of his own defenders got in each other’s way in attempting to clear a central through ball and the ball fell kindly to Jamie Wood who from an angle placed his shot across the face of open goal and wide of target.

In 5 minutes Echt were awarded an indirect free kick inside the City box but failed to convert through a packed goal-line.

Echt lived dangerously in 13 minutes, having failed to clear their lines, the ball ended back inside their six yard box and City frontman Sutherland should have converted, but L Milne blocked.

A surging left side run and cross from Douglas in 16 minutes was fired onto the face of the crossbar by Alan Daun, and keeper Kennedy gratefully pounced on the loose ball with McDonald in close attendance.

L Milne showed a safe pair of hands in plucking a Small driven cross out of the air in 20 minutes but was helpless to do anything to prevent the visitors going ahead on the half hour mark when a Karim right touchline cross was headed past him by the unmarked Small for 0-1.

Kennedy did well to block Wood’s net-bound free kick and Daun took a fresh air swipe at the rebound.

Echt then squandered another clear cut equaliser opportunity. Douglas, back post, got on the end of a Wood cross and headed back across the face of goal where the unmarked Kieran Graham failed to put his head on it.

The home side finally put a fairer, and indeed, deserved reflection on the half-time scoreline with a wonderful 44th minute equaliser.

Graham started the move deep in the Echt half and the ball was helped up the right flank by Andy Davidson to WOOD, who cut inside and left Kennedy helpless with a dipping effort over the keeper into the far corner of the net.

The second half carried on much as the first had ended, with most of the action in the visitors’ half but little in the way of real goalscoring opportunities.

City’s central defensive strongman Harris did well to stay on his feet inside his own box in 55mins and deny Wood a finish.

Kennedy produced a fine diving stop on a Douglas piledriver in 64 minutes after the perseverance and tenacity of McDonald on the left byline set up the chance.

Echt then decided to increase their goal threat by introducing long term injury absentee Greg Kane and withdrew Daun with twenty minutes remaining.

Bon Accord were extremely lucky to stay on level terms when a MacLeod driven corner kick flashed across the face and Douglas had his touch scrambled off the line.

Kane then forced keeper Kennedy to bring him down right side of the box and the referee correctly awarded the spot kick which DOUGLAS powered home.

Graham rattled the City crossbar right on the final whistle and Kennedy blocked E Robertson’s rebound effort.

Echt: L Milne, Graham, S Bennett, Leith, G Milne, Douglas, MacLeod, A Davidson, McDonald, Daun, Wood. Subs: Kane, E.Robertson, Lawrence, P Bennett, McGillivray.