Early Junior Cup exit for Culter

Culter suffered an early exit in the Scottish Junior Cup at the hands of Fife outfit Kelty Hearts.

With the first real attack of the match on 3 minutes Kelty went in front. Robbie Henderson played a neat one-two and finished the move with a low drive into the net.

Five minutes later Farquhar produced a smart save at his near post to deny McCabe.

McKimmie volleyed over as the visitors looked for an equaliser but at the other end Kelly was on hand to clear the ball off the line from Henderson’s header.

Stott then attempted a pass back that landed at the feet of Henderson who stroked the ball home, only for the goal to be chalked off as the ball had already went over the line for a corner.

Culter’s McAllister played his way into the box and squared the ball to the incoming Murray whose shot just failed to find the net.

The home team doubled their lead on 27 minutes. Clark’s corner to the back post was headed home by Robbie Henderson.

Farquhar then saved at the feet of Courts before Hugh Robertson sent a screamer of a free kick just wide of the post.

With half time approaching Stott’s downward header was turned away for a corner by Flemming as the score remained 2-0 at the break.

McBain’s corner was kicked off the line by Duffin back to McBain, and his cross was then met by the head of McAllister which flashed past the post.

Culter continued to pass the ball around but failed to test the home keeper.

In 80 minutes McBain waltzed his way into the box and drove the ball across the home goal and was met by the stretched foot of McAllister but just cleared the crossbar.

Despite dominating the second half Culter failed to get on the score sheet.

Culter co-manager Andy Gibson felt the poor start by his side played a major role in the final result.

He said: “It was a very poor start from us on Saturday. We lost a goal within two minutes, then another poor goal from a set piece which left us two nil down after about twenty five minutes.

“After that we created a few chances and their keeper had a couple of good saves but being honest we can’t afford to give a good side like Kelty a two goal lead.

“On the positive side, in the second half the boys worked away well and matched them better.

“We should have scored when Jamie Mcallister put one over the bar from close range after good work from George McBain.

“But overall the first half cost us, we have to learn that when you play the better sides you have to be switched on from the start or you will get punished.”

Gibson is optimistic his side will put the disappointment of the cup exit behind them in time for Saturday’s GA Engineering Inter Regional Trophy tie against Sunnybank.

He said: “We need to try and get a good result and performance so we will train hard this week and select a team and challenge them to keep a clean sheet.

“Yes, Sunnybank have been struggling but we will not underestimate them as their players will give one hundred percent.”