Echt bow out of Premier Trophy

A tough away fixture for Echt in the Premier Trophy quarter-final against reigning Premier Division champions Woodside.

Although there was little in the way of goalmouth action early in the game, there certainly was plenty of superb on the deck football, played by both sides who looked fairly evenly matched.

A low driven Greg Kane cross from the right byeline in 22 mins spelt danger for the homesters but a magnificent interception by defender Davey ended the threat. The resultant corner was cleared only to the edge of the box and Joe Kirton rifled a drive just over.

Woodside keeper Thouless had his hands warmed by a Kane 18 yarder in 29 minutes and then at the other end a Simpson attempt on goal deflected to safety off an Echt player.

Woodside opened the scoring in 31mins, Neil with time and space to drill a low effort past Kessack after team mate Milne set up the chance.

Echt levelled within 90 seconds after Scott Birse picked out Lawrence with an infield pass and he in turn helped it on to Kane, who took one touch and clipped a good finish over the advancing Thouless.

Having got back on level terms as quickly as they did Echt then proceeded to give away a bad second goal to Woodside a mere 60 seconds after levelling. Possession was conceded on the right touchline, the ball was then hoisted across the Echt goalmouth, Kirton could only head it up in the air and Neil was left with a simple header for 2-1.

Echt were fast out of the blocks second half and within 30 seconds Kane had Thouless in action following a good left side move.

The home side were in full control and only the combination of some desperate defending by Echt, aided by some great saves by Kessack, prevented the homesters from increasing their advantage.

Out of the blue Echt levelled for a second time in 67 mins with a route one strike. Kessack from hands punted high up the park, the ball bounced once and was helped on by Kane’s head, leaving Wood in the clear to advance and pick his spot low past the unprotected Thouless.

Woodside made it 3-2 as Neil cut across the Echt box and fired a low shot into the net. Echt again equalised in 80 mins, Alan Daun played a ball down the left to Kane who crossed for MacLeod to head home.

Echt conceeded the vital fourth goal in extra time when defender Buchan powered a header in off the post. Wood rattled the crossbar for Echt but Woodside finally booked their place in the semi-final with a fifth goal in 114 mins.