Echt left stunned by newly-promoted Insch

Share this article

Echt played host to an Insch side, Division 1 North Champions last season and now featuring in the Premier for the first time, with full points from their opening two fixtures.

Visiting keeper Watson saw early action in blocking a Greg Kane close in attempt on a Darren MacLeod cut back but Insch settled early into the game and it was slightly against the run of play that they fell behind to a 13th minute Paul Presslie penalty after Jamie Wood was adjudged to have been unfairly brought down on the left edge of the box.

Buoyed by this breakthrough Echt threatened to increase their advantage in 16 minutes, a Wood early left touchline delivery just too high for Presslie to get his header on target and two minutes later Watson was in action again to stop a Scott Aberdein 30 yard strike.

Insch were playing some great stuff in the middle of the park however far too often their final thrust was halted by an offside decision.

A Wood ball across the face of goal was brilliantly cut out by Watson as Presslie lurked with intent.

A lung bursting surge down the right flank by Knight, to the byeline, had the home rearguard in disarray but his low cross was cut out.

Insch however were not to be denied and drew level in 33 minutes when Brown worked his way along the right byeline and fired low beyond the advancing Kessack.

Echt then thought Presslie had restored their lead two minutes later when he converted a Kane cross but was ruled offside, a decision not shared by the striker or the Echt touchline.

Echt threatened early in the second half when Kane got beyond keeper Watson and was about to finish when Duthie got back to make an immaculate last ditch interception and then a Marc Lawrence 30 yard shot cannoned back into play off the junction of post and crossbar.

Three minutes later a Knight header forced an instinctive Kessack save.

Insch got their noses in front in 57 minutes when Gary Simpson rammed home from close in after Kessock at full stretch kept out Knight’s long range shot.

Echt were now on the backfoot and in 62 minutes it was 1-3 at the end of another right side foray Gary Simpson again fired past the unprotected Kessack.

Worse was to follow for Echt in 74 minutes when a ball played forward was not cut out, leaving substitute Cameron one-on-one with Kessack and he picked his spot for 1-4.

Despite an excellent second goal from defender Stuart Cooper, it was too little too late.

Whilst Echt were left to ponder what might have been, Insch were a breath of fresh air and their three goal burst in 17 second half minutes deserved the points.

Echt: Kessack, Harris, Cooper, Collie, Aberdein, McLaren, McLeod, Lawrence, Presslie, Kane, Wood. Subs: Craig, Kirton, A Davidson, Buirds.