Echt made to work hard against Monymusk

It was only after an eleventh hour inspection that Deer Park at Monymusk was passed as playable and thus allowed this North of Scotland Cup third round tie to go ahead.

Echt carried the game to their near neighbours from the off and early on an Andy Davidson through ball found Marc Lawrence in full flight, race into the box but the close attention of two home defenders prevented any strike on goal.

In 7 minutes an exchange of passes down the right flank involving Paul Presslie and Jamie Wood ended with the former hitting an effort on target but home keeper Fyffe was untroubled.

Musk’s reply was a 30 yard Cruden effort that passed wide of Lewis Milne’s goal.

In 16 minutes Ian Leith played a ball back to front from inside his own half and a clever Presslie dummy allowed the pass to run to Darren MacLeod in a threatening position left side, but a combination of tricky surface and close marking by a defender saw the threat halted.

Monymusk were now growing in confidence and in 21 minutes Forshaw laid a ball into space on the edge of the Echt box but Barron fired wide of target.

Echt were stunned in 25 minutes when an Alan Douglas attempted back header from just outside the Echt box hit a team-mate and fell for Sangster to beat  L Milne with a fine effort inside his right hand post.

Echt’s response was immediate Leith powered forward from his own half, found Lawrence who in turn fed Mcleod to race into the box and fire past Fyffe to level.

The next threat to Echt came when Moss laid a pass wide right to Cruden, whose attempted cross to find Forshaw, unmarked back post, was blocked for a corner.

Monymusk were at this stage enjoying what was probably their best spell of the match and L Milne scambled to claw a Barron attempt over his crossbar.

The half ended with Echt very much on the defensive, Leith was forced to concede a corner to deny Forshaw and Barron’s flag kick had Echt under severe pressure, and finally Forshaw angled a free on the left agonisingly wide of the far post.

Early second half a Presslie pass sent MacLeod racing into the home box, Fyffe advanced off his line and the Echt wideman scewed his finish wide of target.

Almost immediately Douglas sent Wood clear on the left side of the home box to rifle in a shot that Fyffe did well to push round the near post.

Fyffe then produced a fine acrobatic save on an A.Davidson 25 yarder as Echt turned the screw.

Fyffe, constantly in action, made one of his very few mistakes that could of resulted in Wood putting Echt ahead but defender Robertson came to his rescue. Echt swapped Lawrence for Jamie Gill and the substitute made an immediate impact when he powered a header on a back post MacLeod corner kick into the roof of the Monymusk net to finally break the homesters dogged resistance in 74 minutes.

Stuart Cooper then twice came close to adding to the Echt tally before Gill turned provider with an inviting near post right side corner kick that Presslie, afforded too much time and space, headed home for 1-3.

Evan Robertson, a recent signing, replaced A Davidson and was involved in the build up to both late Echt goals from Macleod and Douglas.

Echt will now host cup Holders Kincorth at Echt this Saturday in the fourth round.

ECHT; L Milne, Daun, Cooper, A.Davidson, G Milne, Leith, Lawrence, Douglas, Presslie, Wood, MacLeod. Subs: Gill, E.Robertson, P.Bennett, V Roger.