Feughside prevail in Scottish Cup replay

Share this article

After a thrilling 3-3 draw between the sides the previous week, Feughside and Torphins went head to head once again to try and find a winner in this Scottish Amateur Cup second round replay.

The game started in a fairly tentative fashion with neither side willing to open up and take risks so early in the game.

On the 15 minute mark good work by the Phins midfield saw the ball played forward to Cruickshank, he took one touch forward and then had a glance up before slotting the ball across the 6 yard line to strike partner Brown who placed the ball past the Feughside keeper.

On the 25 minutes a collision between Phins’ Brown and a Feughside defender resulted in the Torphins striker being taken to hospital with some suspected ankle damage and C.Mitchell came onto the field as his replacement.

On 30 minutes the ball broke in the Torphins penalty area, the striker took one touch before falling over a Strachan outstretched leg and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Up stepped the Feughside number 10, he placed the ball to Geddes’ left however the keeper made a clever stop and the ball was cleared from danger by Mark Allan. As the players started to get back into position the referee whistled and controversially ordered a retake suggesting Geddes had stepped too far off his line prior to the striker’s penalty. This time the centre half stepped up and confidently placed it to Geddes’ left, giving the keeper no chance to make the score 1-1.

The goal sparked a crazy ten minutes of football and the away side were on the attack again. Almost straight from kick off. The ball broke to Gilbert around 16 yards out, the big man took one touch before again placing the ball past the Feughside keeper to put the Phins back in front.

The scoring was not finished there however, around five minutes later, Feughside took an opportunity to play a quick free kick which caught a few Phins players out of position and the striker struck the ball into the corner of the net for 2-2.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with both sides struggling to find their rhythm. This time however it was the home side to take the lead in the game.

Good pressure from their midfielders saw the ball break to their striker, he held it up well before playing in his strike partner who powered a low drive past Geddes. For the first time in the tie, Feughside were ahead.

Torphins were struggling to get to grips with the game now and started to show signs of tiredness. Geddes made a few smart stops and the home side’s final ball was letting them down.

A few good challenges by Phins players seemed to bring about a bit of belief again to the players and seemed to give them a second wind. Good work by Taylor down the right seen him play a one-two with Gilbert, the ball found Taylor who bombed onto it before delivering a deep first time cross into the back post. Cruickshank made a great run in behind his marker and rose well to power the ball into the top corner from ten yards out. A really good counter attacking goal and the Phins were once again on level terms. The tie had produced two thrilling games to this point and the scoring was still not finished.

With the scores level once again with around twenty minutes to play, both sides seemed to shut up shop a bit and there was a sense of whoever made a mistake would lose the next goal.

Some hesitation in the Torphins defence allowed the ball to break to the Feughside striker who rushed forward, Geddes came off his line and challenged him but it broke to another home player who quickly played it forward to his striker who turned it into the empty net.

Again hesitation in the defence cost the Phins, Matheson this time had possession out on the left hand touch line, when the nippy Feughside striker stole the ball from him.. The forward played in his strike partner who turned in the box and was brought down by a Phins defender desperate to try and stop a goal.

Once again the referee pointed straight to the spot. This time the home sides substitute midfielder made no mistake in powering home the ball from twelve yards out to make it 5-3 to Feughside.

With the Phins now heading towards defeat, their players seemed to rally round each other and start to show some fight.

Good work in defence saw Matheson win the ball, he played the ball wide to Johnston who quickly played the ball over the top to Cruickshank. The striker let the ball come over his shoulder before taking one touch and headed for goal, with the keeper rushing out to him he slid in and again squared the ball, this time for substitute Ewan to slot the ball into the empty net for 5-4.

With the away side now pressing forward and taking more risks, Feughside hit them on the break.

A simple ball down the wing saw the striker played in on goal and he slotted past Geddes with a few minute remaining.

This tie had produced two excellent games, seeing sixteen goals scored between the two games and both teams can look with optimism for the remainder of the season.