First half showing ends Saints’ hopes

The first half was where this game was lost with the Banchory players for some reason seemingly sadly lacking in confidence. At half time and 5-0 down an embarrassing scoreline was on the cards, but credit must go the young squad, although they lost two quick second half goals, they fought back to make the final score a bit more respectable.

Dee were on top from the start and took the lead on 5 minutes when a cross from the right was headed home from 8 yards.

Dee came close to getting a second when Buchan got a hand to a cross with the ball rebounding off a Dee player then glancing off the bar. A near post shot was well saved by Buchan just before Dee increased their lead on 15 minutes. A debatable free kick was awarded 18 yards out in the centre with the resultant strike going through the Saints wall and into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later it was 3-0 to the Dee when the Saints defence was split wide open down the middle for an easy goal.

From a Dee free kick wide on the right the cross was headed off the top of the bar, but this miss only delayed the fourth Dee goal on 28 minutes, and although Banchory had chances to clear the loose ball was pounced on giving Buchan no chance in goal.

At this point Presly replaced Adam, but within four minutes it was 5-0 when a cross was headed on for the left winger to head into the net. Another substitution was made with Ritchie being replaced by Henderson. Graham then had to leave the field on 40 minutes with a cut eye after a clash of heads with Gray the replacement.

Into the second half and before they knew it was 7-0. Buchan came to meet a through ball at the edge of the box but fouled the Dee player, with Dee scoring once again direct from the free kick. Two minutes later Buchan misjudged a cross and palmed the ball into the side netting. A rout was a distinct possibility, but pride may have taken over, as the remainder of the game was pretty even.

Then on 73 minutes a lovely through ball found Biskup who calmly lobbed the advancing Dee keeper to grab a goal back, and then Presly was not far away with a low shot going a foot past the post.

But saints were not finished there, as Biskup scored his second with a beautiful strike with eight minutes remaining.

Next week sees a break from League duty when Saints travel to Stonehaven for a McLeman 1st round cup tie, kick off 1.30pm.