Football action suffers from the winter chills

The winter weather disrupted much of last weekend’s sport in the Deeside and Donside areas.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 10:14 am

Banchory St Ternan’s PMAC Superleague match against league leaders Hermes was postponed due to a frosted pitch last Saturday.

A referee’s morning inspection found that the pitch was hard and in particular the goal mouths were rock hard and rutted, giving the official an easy decision.

That’s the first postponement of the season for the Saints, unlike last season, when three games had already been cancelled at the same stage. In fact Banchory had a run of eight consecutive games called off between 27th November and 29th January.

This coming Saturday, Saints travel to Forres for a league game that looks doubtful already with an inspection likely to be made on Friday evening. The bus will leave the Burnett Arms at 9.30am if the game does go ahead.

There has been some transfer action this past week with Saints’ Allan Ogston moving on to FC Stoneywood. Allan said he fancied a change of scenery in what was his fifth season at the club, having made 109 appearances and scoring eight goals.

There will be no game for Banchory on 24th December, but a Hogmany derby is scheduled to be played at Milton Park on 31st December against neighbours Culter, with kick off at 1.30pm.

Culter also suffered frustration last weekend as their North Regional Cup tie against Sunnybank was postponed due to a frozen pitch at Crombie Park. Attempts to switch the match to Heathryfold were unsuccessful as Sunnybank’s pitch was also deemed unplayable.

The Deesiders are back in league action this weekend as they host Lewis United at Crombie Park (1.30pm). The reigning champions will be desperate for the game to go ahead, having only played five league matches this season due to their cup exploits.

Culter striker Pete Shaw has been transferred back to his old club Hall Russell United. Pete, who scored four goals for The Deesiders, signed at the start of this season but had failed to get a regular start.

All Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association matches involving Deeside and Donside clubs were called off, including Echt’s Scottish Amateur Cup fourth round tie at home to Wallacetoun. That match has been rescheduled for this Saturday.