Culter cup triumph

Culter seal the deal
Culter seal the deal

Culter set up a Scottish Cup second round tie with Newton Stewart after beating Lossiemouth 3-1 in their first round replay at Crombie.

In a pulsating second half, which saw four goals on Saturday, it was Culter who came out on top as they managed to eliminate the Highland League outfit and book their place in the second round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Both teams started brightly and the game had a high intensity to it, however it was lacking the cutting edge and the final ball was missing from both teams. Lossiemouth were quick on the counter-attack, but throughout the first half never really posed any threat to the home side’s rear guard.

Culter had the first real opportunity on the 12-minute mark when George McBain nipped the ball over the Lossiemouth defenders head and rounded Errol Watson in the visitor’s goal, but was denied by a goal line clearance by Christopher Ross.

Six minutes later, Lossie’s Mathew Davidson burst through the midfield in a promising run, but his shot was blocked by Allan Youngson.

No one had the upper hand in the first period, however the best chance came for the Highland League side courtesy of a free kick. Lossie’s William Mathers was taken down on the edge of the eighteen-yard box. The free kick taken by Callum Dunbar was heading for the top left corner of the net, but a great save from Neil Duffy in the Culter goal prevented the first goal of the tie.

n Continued on p37

n Contined from back page

The tie was now coming to life and, just three minutes later, Culter’s Lee Murray capitalised on the indecision by Errol Watson in the Lossie goal, but was prevented by the width of the cross bar. An entertaining first half that came to life in the later part, but lacked real quality in the final third. (HT 0-0).

It didn’t take long for the first goal in the second period to arrive when Lossiemouth’s Mathers fired the ball across the face of goal, beating Duffy after 50 minutes.

Culter were now up against it and upped the intensity. They could have had a penalty after 58 minutes when Jamie McAllister was taken down in the box, however the referee didn’t seem to agree.

Max Berton replaced Frank Smyth, which made a big difference, after coming on Berton was running at players, which put the Lossiemouth defence under real pressure.

Culter continued to raise their game and on the 66th minute scored with a goal from George McBain. He capitalised on the awful defending by rounding Watson and firing the ball into the back of the net. Game on.

Lee Murray, coming off for Hugh Robertson, allowed Allan Youngson to move into the centre of midfield. He was now dictating the play for the home side and his simple ball over the top was troubling the Lossie defence.

It wasn’t long after that Culter made their final substitution when they took on Ian Leith for David Greig on the right side of midfield. Leith and Berton were now causing the Lossie defence real problems down the flanks.

McAllister and Rintoul spurned two further chances off of Youngson through balls, but just moments later Steven Rintoul turned in the box and fired the ball into the roof of the net.

Lossiemouth had to get back into the game, but like the first half they were unable to make any inroads on the home side’s defence. A free kick 30 yards out was their only real opportunity, but came to nothing.

With the visitors pushing for an equaliser they left themselves exposed at the back. Youngson put the icing on the cake for Culter when he slotted the ball past Watson in stoppage time.

Culter : Neil Duffy, Frank Smyth (Max Berton), Allan Youngson, NeilReid, Darryn Kelly, Lee Murray (Hugh Robertson), David Greig (Ian Leith), Shaun Taylor, Jamie McAllister, George McBain, Steven Rintoul.

Subs: Michael Taylor, Mark Robinson, Martin Crisp, Grant Pennet

Lossiemouth team: Errol Watson, Anthony Ross, Christopher Ross, Kevin Flett, Grant Mitchell, Greg Watson, Scott Miller, Liam Archibald, Mathew Davidson (Jordan McBain), Callum Dunbar, William Mathers (Ryan Farquhar).

Subs: Kyle Robertson, Jamie McKinnon, Jordan Main, Garry McDonald, Scott Wilson.