Echt’s long rest brings result

Halliburton travelled the short distance to Echt last weekend with both teams playing their second game in three days.

Halliburton, luckily, had the week off beforehand unlike Echt who have played seven games in 16 days, but it was another great night for football. Halliburton lined up with Sct. Marlow in goal, G. Fulton, G. Young, D. Simpson and N. Duncan in defence. K and S Jaques on the wings again. K. Morrison in centre midfield for this third start for the club and for the third consecutive game he had a new partner to get used to in R. Brown. A. Laing and N. Webster were up top.

Echt had to rely on club legend Kenny Walker to lead their defence and former midfield playmaker Martin McGillivray to act as stand in goalkeeper.

The home side were the first to attack with Chen through on goal but keeper Sct Marlow got down to hold.

A minute later, Laing challenged well with Walker and was able to get a snapshot away but off target. Brown put in a good delivery from the corner as Simpson could only glance wide.

Echt delivered their own good cross from a free kick but Young towered above all to clear.

Halliburton got their first shot on target from a Simpson long throw that landed at Webster but McGillivray held well. Brown was next to shoot as he controlled well outside the box but just hit over the bar.

No team controlled the game as Echt attacked and Lawrence curled wide. S. Jaques headed just wide from a Brown cross before Robertson of Echt nipped in past the Halliburton defence and took a snap shot which sailed over the bar.

K. Jaques was next to miss the target as he had acres of space and cracked one from 30 yards but unfortunately, again, the keeper was not tested as the ball went over the bar.

Simpson and Young showed their defensive qualities when the latter cut out a low cross and the former took a sore one to kill the attack.

Echt took the lead after 40 minutes as Halliburton could not take advantage of another Simpson long throw that the home side cleared and counter-attacked, forcing a corner. Halliburton looked to have handled well until Laing gave up possession and Stewart fired home on the second attempt. 1-0.

The last attack of the first half came from Halliburton as N. Duncan played in Laing which the keeper got to first and S. Jaques almost got onto the end of it if it wasn’t for Walker who tackled superbly. HT 1-0

No changes at half time as Halliburton were still well in the game but were ordered to test the goalkeeper.

Webster and G. Fulton both attacked well in the beginning of the second half but once again Walker cleared any danger.

Echt’s Robertson flew up their left wing which G. Fulton did well to halt and release Webster who drilled in low cross which the keeper pushed away.

In the 57th minute, Echt won a corner which Chen met unchallenged but headed over the bar.

Brown was then replaced by N Mcdonald for a brief centre midfield stint before moving to right back as G. Fulton went into centre back, Webster, in centre midfield, and Young upfront.

Shot of the match came in the 65th minute when a cross from Halliburton’s right wing was somehow met by a S. Jaques scissor kick powered towards goal but keeper McGillivray was in the right place at the right time.

Webster produced a moment of class by pulling off a regular training ground skill as he left the Echt defence for dead but nothing came of the attack. Webster was then helping out his defence when the referee awarded a penalty as he won the ball back. An Echt player thundered the ball from the penalty spot which Sct Marlow pulled off a wonderful save against the cross bar to keep Halliburton in the game.

This spurred them on as they attacked down the left wing, N. Duncan whipping in an excellent ball which Laing looked like he was going to score but the ball bobbled into the path of K. Jaques. He wasn’t expecting the ball to drop to him as he was two yards from goal as Echt’s Walker lunged towards him and he could only tap the ball into the keeper’s hand.

N. McDonald was picked out by N. Duncan, but McDonald’s speculative effort was held by the keeper. R. Fulton replaced N. Duncan with five minutes to go and was able to get a shot in before the final whistle but, like most of Halliburton’s efforts, it was over the bar. FT 1-0.

Echt: McGillivray, Rankin, Daun, J. Stewart, Lloyd, Walker, D. Stewart, Lawrence, Chen, MacVinish, Robertson Subs: Calderwood, Roger, E. Robertson, Loch, Davidson. Echt MOTM Walker