Nine goal thriller sees Echt reap the spoils

Echt 5

Halliburton 4

Halliburton travelled to Echt to face the former premier league champions in the first round of the Aberdeen Trophy Centre Shield.

With C.Wilson, G.Young, A.Turner and M.Ellis, missing Halliburton had to change the midfield that just lost out to Woodside the previous weekend. Halliburton lined up with S.Marlow in goals, G.Fulton sweeping behind N.McDonald, D.Simpson and N.Duncan. S.Jaques and K.Jaques were on the wings. R.Fulton, N.Webster and C.MacDonald were in the centre midfield with the later urged to push forward to assist A.Laing up top.

Halliburton got the game under way and made the first attack with S.Jaques passing inside to A.Laing who was tackled and the ball cleared upfield forcing N.McDonald into making a good challenge to break up an Echt attack.

Echt had another chance when Swan fired the ball past the far post from the right wing.

Halliburton took the lead after six minutes. It started from a N.Duncan throw onto R.Fulton who battled to win the ball and nod down to K.Jaques who rifled home from 35yards leaving keeper C.Garden no 
chance. 0-1.

Halliburton got their second after C.Garden produced a great save from a R.Fulton’s stinging shot that was parried wide and looked to be going out for a throw. S.Jaques, realising the Echt defence were all over the place, kept the ball in and delivered a dangerous cross that the keeper parried and fell nicely for C.MacDonald to accurately fire home from the edge of the box through a cluster of players. 0-2.

Echt came right back into the game from a powerful drive from Lawrence that G.Fulton did well to block, however an unusually slack challenge from brother Ross on the right allowed an Echt break and a low cross from a wide position was met by Turbine who got in front of D.Simpson to tuck in the near post past S.Marlow. 1-2.

Echt piled on the pressure and after 25 minutes got their second goal, N.McDonald giving away a needless foul on the edge of the box.

The Halliburton wall initially did well to block Turbine’s powerful and low effort but lack of communication meant the wall split and ran away for him to get his second of the game and easily blast into the net. 2-2.

Echt continued to attack for the remainder of the half with Halliburton’s defence and S.Marlow battling well to deny any scoring opportunities.

Halli managed a couple of attacks before the break, both created by S.Jaques, when he cut inside from the wide position to feed C.MacDonald whose shot went past the far post. There was a similar outcome from an R.Fulton shot.

Echt took the lead before half-time when Swan rode through two tackles to set up Lawerence who smashed it past S.Marlow to make it 3-2.

Echt continued to attack in the second half and came close when a Kane shot was blazed over from a Lawrence cross.

Laing had a hook shot which was easy for keeper Garden. A.Laing had very little support throughout the whole game and manager Stuart Marlow changed things and put N.Webster upfront.

This made a difference as Halliburton were able to push forward and S.Jaques forced a save from Garden as the ball almost crept in under the bar.

Although Echt should have scored from a quick break that Clews hit wide from six yards, Halliburton equalised with another goal made in Jaquesland, Kyle beating two men down the left before beautifully picking out brother, Stuart, who scored from a bullet header at the 
back post. 3-3.

Halliburton should have pushed on from this, but shambolic marking allowed an Echt shot which S.Marlow did well to save although the loose ball was fired home. 4-3.

Echt looked to the kill the game and S.Marlow had to produce a great save from a powerful shot from Lister.

Echt scored the fifth after C.MacDonald fouled an Echt player.

The free kick went wide and Clews curled into the 
net. 5-3.

Halliburton would not give up and came close with a great free kick delivered by G.Fulton onto Webster who laid off C.MacDonald who fired wide.

The final goal of the game came from a Halliburton corner. K.Jaques delivered a low cross to the near post which Echt made a mess of clearing and C.Macdonald battled to retain possession for A.Laing to continue his impressive scoring record this season and slam home from close range. 5-4.

In the 80th minute, R.Brown and N.Hunter replaced N.McDonald and C.MacDonald as Halli changed formation to 3-4-3.

Best move of the match came from an S.Marlow goal kick to K.Jaques on the left who, with one touch, nipped past his man into the centre of the park, fed A.Laing who held the ball up before flicking onto N.Webster who laid off K.Jaques who made the run into the box only for the Echt defender to get a last ditch tackle in and clear.

Echt’s C.Garden had a couple of easy save to make from long range K.Jaques shots as time ran out for Halliburton 
to equalise.

Last chance came from an R.Brown corner that S.Marlow bravely challenged for in the air but the Echt keeper came out on top.

Man of the match went to K.Jaques