Robertson hat-trick getes Alford off to flyer

Alford kicked off the new season with a depleted squad due to injuries, holidays, suspensions and weddings. Duncan Harper was dragged out of retirement to take his place in an unfamiliar sweeper role.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 6th August 2012, 4:07 pm

The game started rather scrappy under a hot Alford sun in near perfect playing conditions with neither team taking the initiative.

Alford were first to threaten with good work from Buchan and Robertson requiring a good save from the Jonner keeper. Alford persevered further and on the 20 minute mark the ball fell to Robertson who found himself in a fortuitous position, despatching a clinical finish to break the deadlock.

The game re-started with the away team immediately on the attack, the Alford players still basking in the glory of the opener, switched off momentarily allowing the Jonner wingers to tie Fowlie in knots, resulting in a simple cross which entered the six yard box between keeper Derek Taylor and Harper allowing the unmarked striker to finish from all of 3 yards.

The game then swung from end to end with the home team creating the best opportunity where Buchan calmly passed the goalkeeper with the outside of his foot only to see his effort come off the inside of the post straight into the keeper arms.

Following an inspiring team talk by co-manager Slessor the home team started the second half with the bit between their teeth, striker Richie Taylor was soon showing some of the skills that made him one of the most feared strikers in and around the semi pro scene over the past decade.

Some neat play by Taylor and Robertson soon created another chance which again was finished ruthlessly by Robertson from close range.

The game soon started to become stretched with the away team changing to a three man strike force. This was soon countered by a well marshalled Alford defence under the wily stewardship of Harper and the youthful exuberance of Forbes, who were playing the away team offside time after time.

With the away team adopting a shoot on site policy, Harper took a sore one on the neck blocking a strongly hit shot from point blank range, to save a certain goal.

Alford were now playing on the break and with some superb hold up play from Taylor and wing play from player of the season Shepherd looked the more comfortable, and the more likely to take the three points.

Alford played their only card with the substitution of Paxton with trialist Will Salih. Salih’s immediate impact saw him take the ball from deep to create his own chance only to be thwarted by a great save by the Jonner Keeper. Alford were soon to put the game to bed with some fine inter play by Buchan, Gordon, Rennie and Taylor which was again finished by the now deadly Robertson to complete his hat trick. The game was now over as a contest with Alford running out the clock to take maximum points.

Alford: Derek Taylor, Harper, Fowlie, Forbes, Shepherd, Buchan, Gordon, Paxton, Rennie, Ritchie Taylor, Robertson - Sub - Salih (Trialist)