Great start to new season for Feughside

editorial image
Share this article

Following being awarded the 3 points without a ball being kicked on Saturday 6th August, due to opponents FC Polska failing at that point to register any players for the 2011-12 season and two midweek weather cancellations, Feughside’s players and newly appointed Manager Gordon Birss were keen to get some competitive football under their belts.

Continental were the visitors to Farquharson Park on Saturday 13th August. The kick off was slightly delayed as players were running late. However, the game commenced with Continental only having 8 players on the pitch. By 10 minutes they had a full compliment, but Campbell had already opened his and Feughside’s account for the season, nodding home Anderson’s cross at the front post. It could have been 2-0, but K Fraser’s powerful header came back of the bar, with the keeper stranded.

McRitchie added a second on the half hour mark, with the visiting defence claiming for offside. However the ball had came from G Fraser’s goal kick and the referee rightly pointed out to the defenders, there is no offside from a goal kick. It took a couple of yellow cards to convince them of this fact.

The home side however allowed the visitors to get back onto level terms and the teams came in for the interval at two all. Within ten minutes of the restart Feughside were awarded a penalty when the persistent Campbell was flattened in the box. McRitchie coolly converted the spot kick. Nine minutes later McRitchie had completed his hat-trick, turning the ball into the net at the back post, after the vesting keeper was caught out by a trademark K Fraser throw in.

Continental was then awarded a penalty for a challenge in the area, which they scored to make it 4-3. Feughside were unlucky not to regain their two goal cushion when E Warren finished, only for it to be ruled out for a very tight offside decision.

This was a great start to the season, recording 3 points at home and with Daniel, Petrie, Thomson & E Warren making their debuts for the club, in what was a good solid team performance to get the season underway.

Feughside: G Fraser (C), M Warren, McPherson, Brand, Daniel, Anderson, Petrie, K Fraser, Davidson, Campbell, McRitchie, Beaton, Thomson, E Warren, Kelly, Fowlie.

Grammar FP’s 1 Feughside FC 8

Following playing on the Farquharson Park surface at the weekend, Feughside travelled to Inverdee on Monday 15th August to take on Grammar FP’s on a surface that was slightly less conducive for football. However, this did not cause the visitors an issue, putting in a fine team performance and ultimately running out comfortable winners.

A double from McRitchie, followed by goals from Fowlie and Campbell saw the visitors 4-0 up by the half hour mark. This was how the half ended, with Feughside continuing to create chances, the midfield having control of the game and the defence raring looking troubled.

Within 2 minutes of the restart Campbell had increased the visitor’s advantage. McRitchie then completed his second hat-trick of the season 6 minutes later, rounding the goalkeeper and calmly slotting the ball home into the vacant goal. The striker was not content with this and added his fourth and Feughside’s seventh in the 65th minute.

Durno then completed the scoring for Feughside, with a strike from distance with 5 minutes remaining. This was not to be the end of the scoring, as Grammar FP’s then had a rare foray into the Feughside penalty area and sneaked what was only ever going to be a consolation goal, with 3 minutes remaining.

Feughside were in command of this encounter from start to finish and were deserving of the 3 points and the emphatic winning margin. This was a hard working team performance which saw a debut for Kelly and a scoring return to Feughside for Fowlie.

Feughside: G Fraser (C), M Warren, McPherson, Brand, Davidson, Anderson, K Fraser, Davidson, Fowlie, Campbell, McRitchie, Beaton, Thomson, Kelly, Daniel, Durno.