Last minute goal sends Swifts out of Scottish Cup

Banchory Swifts under-13s travelled to Peterhead for a preliminary round of the Scottish Cup and this was true cup football with Swifts being 2-0 down, then 4-2 up, only to lose 5-4 in the final minute.

A decent away support saw Banchory lose an early goal in only 5 minutes when the Peterhead striker found himself one on one with Swifts ‘keeper Dean Strachan. Strachan saved well with his legs only to see the rebound fall kindly to Peterhead and they knocked the ball in to the empty net.

Cornally, playing at full back, released Fraser with a long clearance and the nippy forward soon outpaced the home sides defence.  His quick thinking resulted in an 18 yard chip over the oncoming keeper which looked in but it took a strange bounce and ended up wide of  the post.

In 10 minutes Swifts were two down when a lob over the defence gave the Peterhead number 8 an easy chance that he placed past Strachan.

This seemed to wake up the Swifts and they then started to take control of the game. Cornally played one of his many precision passes down the line to Harris Anderson and his trickery and speed deceived his opponent, he then put in an accurate cross to Fraser who scored from six yards out.

On 30 minutes it was 2-2 when Ferguson drove from centre midfield and even though he was fouled he still managed to thread a ball to Fraser whose shot went in via a deflection from a home defender.

Now the game was more like a cup tie and the play was end-to-end but it was Banchory who took the lead with another ball from Ferguson to Fraser who then crossed for Harris Anderson to score his first of the season.

Shortly after half time, Siswick, who was doing all the midfield hassling had to come off with a knee injury after a 50-50 challenge.

A Kieran Strachan quick throw to Fraser at the six yard box saw a great shot fly into the top of the net to make it 4-2 to the Swifts.

Cornally found himself out-muscled at full back and the resulting cross was well headed in. At 4-3 Banchory were now under constant pressure and it wasn’t long before the match was all square again.

In the final minute, just as it looked like it was going to extra-time Peterhead won another corner which had been causing problems in the Swifts’ defence all afternoon.

The ball deceived everyone and dropped at the back post bouncing off the smallest man on the park and into the net to put Peterhead through to the next round of the cup.

Although it was a defeat the Swifts played well and can hold their heads high.

Team: Dean Strachan, Ross Cornally, Tom Flaherty, Dillon Thomson, Scott Anderson, Harris Anderson, Craig Siswick, Liam Ferguson, Kieran Strachan, Michael Fraser, Connor Douglas.  Sub: Reece Milne.