Lawrence’s strike sees Echt into third round of Association trophy

Share this article

Echt hosted Burghmuir in this Association Trophy second round fixture, the first meeting of the sides for over two years.

The first chance fell to the visitors on 6 minutes when a left bye-line cross from Black was headed over by a close in Burghmuir forward.

Echt then forced a couple of corners, and from the second, McGillivray’s deep delivery was headed back across goal by Douglas to Cooper, whose header hit the underside of the crossbar, dropped, and was bundled over the line by J Roger for 1-0.

Burghmuir were on level terms only three minutes later, Echt’s Douglas beat Black to a searching through ball but failed to control and the pacey Burghmuir frontman strode clear and clinically rolled his shot inside Milne’s right hand post for the equaliser.

The ever dangerous Macleod rattled a shot off Burghmuir custodian Cruickshank’s right hand post in 23 minutes and seconds later thekeeper had a fine instinctive block on a thunderous drive from Kane.

Echt finished the half strongly and good efforts by Leith and then MacLeod meant the sides were level at half time.

Echt started the second half as they had ended the first on the ascendancy, and Cruickshank left one-on-one with Cooper made a great stop with his right foot in the 52nd minute.

A J Roger header on a McGillivray cross was headed off the Burghmuir goal-line.

Echt got their noses in front in 54 minutes, J Roger firing past Cruickshank after McGillivray and Kane combined to set up the chance for what was a good finish.

Echt missed a great chance to increase their advantage in 63 minutes but the busy Cruickshank, in fine form, saved a Douglas spot kick after Leith was brought down in the box.

Both sides were introducing subs as the game progressed and Burghmuir levelled for the second time with fifteen minutes remaining.

Following a throw on the right a cross was delivered across the Echt goal, Milne under pressure got a fist to it, but not distance and Hay hammered an angular drive into the roof of the net.

Neither side could conjure up a winner prior to the end of regulation time, although both sides had chances.

The winner, three minutes into the first period of extra time, was a sensational strike from Echt Substitute Lawrence. He unleashed a high dipping strike that flew high over the helpless Cruickshank and into the top corner of the net.

For the remainder of extra time half chances came and went at both ends but Echt held on to win 3-2.