The magnificent seven for Echt . .

Echt, on home soil for the third week in a row, faced Bon Accord City in the second round of the North of Scotland Cup last Saturday.

Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 9:49 am

The Bridge of Don-based side pipped Echt at the post to claim the Premier Division title as recently as 2010 but following relegation at the end of last season, they are now in the process of rebuilding with a young squad in Division 1 East.

Early on Echt had the visitors defending a series of Marc Lawrence in-swinging corners from the left but, although under pressure from these deliveries, City keeper Henderson and his defence stood firm.

Bon Accord showed their mettle as an attacking force after 10 minutes, working the ball across the edge of the Echt box right to left and a McCaffrey angular, near post strike, on goal had Echt keeper Gordon Kessack at full stretch.

In the 17th minute, a strong six-yard header, on target, by central defender Dryburgh, up for a Cumming left side corner, was instinctively clawed from under his crossbar by Kessack.

Totally against the run of play, Echt swept upfield and took the lead, Phil Craig out left playing an early delivery across the City box that found Paul Presslie whose first touch was excellent and his second he cracked behind the helpless Henderson for 1-0. Goalscorer Presslie was forced out of the game with an injury and replaced by Darren MacLeod.


Echt came close to doubling their advantage in 23 minutes, Lewis Chouman and Craig combined on the right and the latter unselfishly set up Lawrence unmarked but Henderson blocked the net-bound effort with an outstretched foot.

McCaffrey chipped a speculative 40-yard effort goalwards that cleared Kessack but also the crossbar.

The young Bon Accord side were rewarded with a deserved leveller on the stroke of half time. A break down the right and delivery across the Echt goal found its way to the ummarked Rennie at the back post to roll home.

Echt, now playing downslope, regained the lead with four second half minutes on the clock as Allan Douglas strode forward from the back and his through-ball found its way to Chouman, who stepped right, and his angular strike rebounded off the inside of the near post across the face of goals for Craig to fire into the unguarded net.

Injury hampered Chouman was now replaced by Greg Kane.

In 50 minutes, the visitors’ livewire, Cloust, darted from his own half and from fully 35 yards was desperately unlucky to lift a good strike over Kessack but back into play off the crossbar.

At the other end Kane one on one with Henderson was denied by the custodian.

Echt were now in control and, when Birse delivered across the six-yard line, Bon Accord failed to clear their lines and Stewart McLaren drilled low into the net for 3-1 on the hour mark.

Three minutes later, McLaren grabbed his own second and Echt’s fourth with a stunning 35-yard strike that found net just inside the left hand post.

MacLeod was then left with a simple finish on a ball played in from the left by McLaren in 66 minutes as Echt went nap.

Craig scored a fine individual effort 11 minutes later, cutting in from the right, before he completed his hat-trick in the 84th minute with another solo effort.

Echt: Kessack, Birse, Robertson, Douglas, Daun, McLaren, Lawrence, Symon, Presslie, Chouman, Craig. Subs; Macleod, Kane, Buirds, A Davidson, Milne.