McDonald’s late goal sees Halliburton into next round

This Association Cup second round tie got under way with Halli facing a stiff breeze.

The wind however had nothing to do with a quick early goal scored by the visitors after only 2 minutes. An easy ball square to P.Stewart who made no mistake for 0-1.

In 3 the referee missed what appeared to be a handball by Rattrays, which resulted in the defender pushing a ball forward. Hughes collected and broke suspiciously through the offside trap only to roll his shot harmlessly wide.

Halliburton equalised when Young rose high from a corner to nod down for Milne who rattled home from 10 yards.

Rattrays came close when a low drive came back off the post before Mutch sent a terrible pass out of his own box in 21 which was collected by a visitor. In came C.McDonald, result, a penalty. Mitchell stepped forward but his spot kick was well saved low to his right by Halli keeper Sct Marlow.

A pretty even game was now going end to end but with little to class on show. Young had a decent effort saved by Ritchie in the Ratts goal before a quick break saw Ratts power in a shot that looked in all the way until Sct Marlow leapt to somehow turn it over the bar. Mutch’s corner saw Young win the ball and it fell for N.McDonald, who swivelled to slam it home for 2-1.

Rattray’s keeper Ritchie made a stunning save from close range when N.McDonald got on to a Wilson knock down but the ref blew for offside against Wilson.

G.Fulton made an excellent tackle in 38 to halt a run from P.Stewart then Sct Marlow was brave in 39 diving at the feet of an attacker.

After a slow start to the second half, 64 Halli were torn to shreds. N.Duncan stood off then Wood was burned for pace. G.Fulton got nothing into a challenge before visitor Clark smashed home from an acute angle 2-2.

Halli went in front with ten minutes remaining. The ball ricocheted off N.McDonald, on to a defender back on to the Halli man and straight into the net.

Rattrays burst forward and won a corner kick with goalkeeper Ritchie joining in the attack. The corner kick was well met and sent goalwards but Mutch was there to clear off the line as Halliburton held on.