Valiant Deeside beaten by technicality

editorial image

Deeside’s under-18’s were dealt the cruellest of blows on Thursday after loosing out to Aberdeen Wanderers despite drawing the match.

The visitors scored an early, unconverted, try at Woodend before Deeside levelled in the closing stages to make sure the game ended all square.

However, the referee’s official ruling was that Wanderers were awarded the victory by merit of scoring first.

Extra-time is not played at under-18 level.

The ruling means that Deeside will play this season in the North Conference division - resulting in a great deal more travelling for the youngsters.

Wanderers kicked off the game and immediately put Deeside on the back foot.

The Aberdeen club’s Open-Side flanker broke the defensive line but knocked the ball on under pressure.

Wanderers then won a Scrum in the 22 and simple passing along the back line was enough to send the Outside-Centre in to open the scoring.

The resulting conversion was narrowly missed.

Following the early try Deeside came back and went onto to dominate the remainder of the half with the ball rarely entering their side of the pitch.

Wanderers were stronger in the scrum though and towards the end of the first half should have scored again when the Stand-Off crossed the line but couldn’t control his touch-down and dropped the ball under pressure.

Again, the Aberdeen team came at Deeside but the home squad were strong in the tackle and kept them out.

The second half was much the same story as the first with Deeside keeping the ball in Wanderers side of the pitch but failing to find the elusive score.

Both sides had chances as Deeside could have scored if not for a knock-on.

Wanderers later broke the home-sides defence and looked sure to score before Deeside captain Andrew Wilson darted back to bring down the wanderers player with a spectacular try-saving tackle.

Finally, Deeside’s dominance paid off when Wanderers lost possession in open play and Cian McBeath picked the ball up in his own 22 before darting the length of the pitch and beating the covering defenders with his speed and footwork to score a fantastic try.

Jack Christie took the conversion but was unlucky to see the kick narrowly miss.

Both sides traded possession and attempted to muster an attack in the final five minutes but not further score was made.

As the full-time whistle blew many pitch side supporters were speculating what the draw meant and it was to the dismay of the home fans that the referee ruled that, because Wanderers were the first team to score, they were granted the victory.