Musk well beaten

Share this article

After recording a win and a draw in their last two games Division 2 (East) new boys Monymusk were brought back down to earth at Deer Park with this heavy defeat.

Stonehaven side AC Mill Inn are currently top the league and it is easy to see why as they are an extremely strong outfit with many of their players from the junior ranks.

Musk had no answer to the strong-running Mearns team who dominated the game throughout and already look favourites to be champions.

The visitors had the ball in the net as early as the third minute but it was ruled offside by the referee.

Their number nine then went on a great run down the right and shot just wide before Grant Forsyth, taking over in goal for the absent Mikey Fyffe, blocked another attempt.

It was one-way traffic as AC Mill Inn continued to lay siege on the Musk goal and a great run down the left this time ended with a player crashing the ball off the post.

The breakthrough came in 23 minutes when a corner was swung over and there was the big number 10 to head the ball past Forsyth.

Musk had their first shot on target in 32 minutes when Daniel Clark set Gordon Duthie up but his effort was easily gathered by the keeper.

A minute later the visitors were 2-0 up after cashing in easily on a mistake by the Musk defence.

With four minutes of the first half remaining AC Mill Inn were awarded a penalty after a player was sent sprawling in the box by Musk’s Liam Barron.

The spot kick was duly despatched to make it 3-0 at the break.

AC Mill Inn were 4-0 up after just a minute of the second half with a player running on to score from a great ball through the Musk rearguard.

A Clark free kick was well held by the keeper at his near post before the visitors made it 5-0 in 55 minutes with the ball ending up in the corner of the Musk net.

Musk made a flurry of substitutions at this point in an effort to stop the rot but AC Mill Inn were relentless, hitting the woodwork again in 60 minutes before making it 6-0 two minutes later.

Musk had a great chance to open their account in 67 minutes when some good play ended with substitute Faustino D’souza crossing the ball to Liam Beaton but he pulled his shot wide of the target.

AC Mill Inn were in seventh heaven a minute later when a cross from the left found a player in the middle and he made no mistake.

Musk, however, to their credit, rallied in the last 20 minutes of the game.

First Clark hit the crossbar with a looping effort and then Musk finally did get the ball in the net in 73 minutes when Clark sent substitute Michael Howden through on goal and the striker kept his composure to knock the ball past the keeper and make it 7-1.

AC Mill Inn wasted another couple of chances before Ryan Sangster fed the ball to man-of-the-match Andy Murray but the keeper brought off a magnificent save to deny Musk a second goal.

Monymusk: Forsyth, Barron, Nicolson, Mackie, Sangster, Murray, Duthie (D’souza), Beaton (Harkness), Moir (Howden), Clark and Aitken (Lyon).

Monymusk travel to Inverdee in the city this Saturday (September 1) to face Northern United in the first round of the Colin’s Tyres Dickie Trophy.