After a 7–0 mauling to the hands of Division 1 side Rothie Rovers last week in the cup, the Phins could not have landed a tougher tie in the league but league leaders Northern United. The Balmedie side having played four, and won four games.

Torphins started with the early pressure and found themselves in front within ten minutes. Johnstone launched a long ball forward from the back putting BRUCE clean through on goal, and the attacker made no mistake in slotting past the United goalkeeper. 
United pulled the game level five minutes later. A midfielder was allowed to run at the Torphins defence and it was Kellas who managed to scupper the midfielder in his tracks. However the ball broke to the tall stocky attacker who made no mistake in firing the ball into the net.

On 30 minutes, Torphins deservedly regained the lead. S. Kellas this time hit a diagonal ball and TRAVERS, skilfully turned and flicked the ball over the United goal keeper and into the net.

However, the game was level before the interval. A throw in from the right hand side was skilfully dummied by United’s number 9 who left Michie on his heels. The forward turned and coolly slotted the ball past Cooper and into the net.

Torphins began the second half strongly. Cooper went route one from a goal kick and winger Wright raced into the box and hit a sweet left foot volley that went filling across the goal and was really unlucky to see the ball go narrowly wide. The winger went even closer shortly after. A throw in from the right was headed down by Bruce and Wright hit a right foot volley that came crashing off the cross bar.

With this build-up of pressure it was only a matter of time before Torphins hit the back of the net. Mackenzie this time the provider. The midfielder broke from his own half and dinked a ball over the top. BRUCE ran onto the ball and fired accurately across the goal keeper and into the far corner.

With 7 minutes remaining, United found themselves back on level terms, but not without controversy. The ball deflected off the leg of Johnstone and set up nicely for the number nine to complete his hat trick. The attacker however was in an offside position when the ball was played and therefore, even although it struck Johnstone’s leg, was still involved and interfered in the attack. The appeals were waved away and the goal stood.

However on the 90 minute mark, Torphins hit the back of the net. A throw in from the right was knocked down by Mitchell and ALLARDYCE controlled brilliantly before curling a left foot shot under the goalkeeper into the far corner.

Torphins attacked from the restart and TRAVERS won a free kick right on the edge of the box and the captain curled the set piece into the top corner to round off a brilliant display from the Phins.